Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7, IE 8 high disk activity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davelr

davelr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

Before asking my question I have to issue a mea culpa and admit that due to circumstances at the time, I never created clean images of this system that I can restore back to. Hence my following question(s). And no, there aren't any system restore points availabe that could fix this.

System involved is a Toshiba NB305 running Win 7 Starter. I have a number of apps installed and some of my primary data files, all others are stored on my home network. I would really prefer to not have to do a full cold metal rebuild of the system, but need advice.

The system was working well for most of my needs. However one evening I was doing some web browsing and then put the machine into standby. After about 15 minutes I needed to do some more browsing but when I woke the machine and opened IE 8, everything stalled. While IE was running, the disk activity light was on solid and the system would not respond to most any control without a very long delay. This behavior is consistent to the present.

In some cases pages would eventually load, in others not. New page loads always invoke the active disk behavior. Shutting down AV (Sunbelt Viper V4) doesn't change behavior. Sometimes I could kill the iexplore process in task manager and others not necessitating a forced shutdown.

I am actively using the system for Outlook, Quicken and several other functions. Windows Update (since it doesn't seem to use all of IE) works fine.

It is not just IE that doesn't work, however. The following apps also have problems:

Logitech Harmony configuration app - main app works ok, but when trying to update remote the upload of remote data to the Logitech servers fails and the update fails.

Macrium Reflect Backup - Image files won't complete whether over a network share or a local drive. Backups proceed to about 100% and then fail at the very end.

I've done an SFC scan for corrupted files, but none are found.

Full, deep AV scans reveal no problems.

I'd try to reinstall IE but haven't found a download link that indicates it's valid for Win 7.

Would certainly appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

:huh: to BC, davelr.

This is a netbook, correct? I may be able to help you, since I have a netbook, as well. :huh:

Okay, what programs do you have set to startup? Keep in mind, netbooks weren't meant for heavy multi-tasking.

Do you still have the default 1GB of RAM or have you upgraded to 2GB? If you don't have 2GB, I would certainly consider the upgrade....it's the best thing I ever did with my netbook. :thumbup2:

Do you experience this problem in safe mode?

I'm assuming this netbook came with Starter preinstalled?

Have you tried browsing with Firefox? I know you said other programs were having problems too, but I still despise IE8....Firefox will give you a better experience.

Can you make backups using Acronis? The trial version is fully functional for 30 days.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 davelr

davelr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for reply and the welcome.

Please note that NONE of these symptoms were evident prior to the first incident. All functions that are having problems now were running fine before. I used the Logitech app to update the remote and Macrium worked correctly. There are no programs running at startup after the problem started than were running prior to the problem showing up. I doubt that upgrading RAM would solve this problem even if it did give Win 7 more headroom.

Don't think the problem is necessarily IE. I know many people have "religion" about browsers, but even if Firefox worked, would probably be just masking problem.

In safe mode IE does not exhibit this problem, Macrium can backup (at least one test), but Logitech Harmony still does not upload remote info correctly.

Had used Acronis for several years but opted for Macrium due to problems with Acronis rescue CD creation.

Thanks

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

I see...

Well, let's see if we can determine whether or not if any of your startups are causing this problem.

To perform a diagnostic startup, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type msconfig, and then hit Enter.
2. On the General tab, click Diagnostic Startup, and then click OK.
3. Restart your computer.

If the problem does not occur, use Selective startup mode to try to find the problem by turning individual services and startup programs on or off.

Obviously one of your pieces of software is doing this, or Safe Mode would exhibit the same behavior. I'm not sure about the Logitech thing. If you weren't in Safe Mode with Networking, then nothing is going to upload to the internet anyway.

But yeah, see if you can find a startup that is causing the problem, and we'll go from there. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 martine4161

martine4161

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:14 AM

If you have notebook then one thing you have to keep in mind is note book is for light weight software. If you have a RAM 6 GB or something then you can run the more then one programs at the same time. So basically if you have a problem with the opening the software and not other settings ten this is the solution.

#6 davelr

davelr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I wish it were as easy as the number of programs running, but it's not. Just IE by itself consistently creates the high disk activity. BTW the problems with the Harmony program and Macrium Reflect do NOT show the disk activity symptom, but did start at the same time as the IE problem. Suspect they are related, but don't know how yet.

I'll go through the startup analysis and see if any culprits show up.

Thanks again.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

Thanks again.

Sure thing. :huh:

Post back if you find anything. :huh: