Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange keyboard or something

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chevyusa1

chevyusa1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:34 AM

Last night I was visiting a car related discussion forum that I visit often and while replying to a previous post my keyboard suddenly had a mind of it's own. The first thing I noticed was that my "Filter Keys" icon appeared in my task bar, so I double clicked it to open it and noticed that the "Filter Keys" box was checked, so I unchecked it and hit "apply". Then my caps lock was on and I could not type without everything being in capital letters even though by looking at my keyboard the Caps lock was not on, and evertime I hit a key I heard a "beep" sound. So I disconected from the net and immediatly got an alert from Microsoft Antispy that said "An application change has been allowed,Spybot S&D BHO object has been deleted" so I began running tests with Spybot S&D, AVG Free, Adaware, and Microsoft Antispy. None of which found anything. So I then ran HijackThis, it also found nothing. So I did a system restore to and earlier time and all seems fine now. But I'm still wondering, what would cause such a thing?

Edited by chevyusa1, 30 September 2005 - 08:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:40 PM

A bad keyboard. you may want to also try uninstalling any keyboard software. or if you have a wireless kb and mouse, either first try "reconnecting" your w/s set, move the receiver around, or get new batteries. short of those suggestions, get another kb and try it.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:38 AM

I don't think it's a keyboard problem at all. It only happened 1 time, if the keyboard is bad then I would think that I would experience this problem often and not just 1 time. Plus, why would that cause the alert from Microsoft Antispy? I do believe that something was going on at the website I was visiting, I talked to someone that was there the same night and he had a different problem....his caps lock engaged by itself and he could not turn caps off until he rebooted his 'puter and his mouse stopped working altogether, until the reboot. Another person got booted from the site for no appearent reason and also got an alert from his Microsoft Antispy stating that a registry value had been deleted. I think I'll wait for a response from one of the BC pros. No offense but your are a forum regular and not a BC moderator/helper/adviser/pro. But thanks for the opinion.

#4 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:37 AM

No offense but your are a forum regular and not a BC moderator/helper/adviser/pro.

In my opinion, anybody that offers help, is a helper. No matter what their title is. I do not have many posts at this forum, but you can never tell how many posts I have at other forums. You said you go to another forum quite frequent, so you should know that.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

thank you confused user, i have been an it professional for 5 years, A+ , Network+. I take my personal time out to TRY to help remotely diagnose issues from networking , to hardware to advise. when you troubleshoot, you check the easy simple things out first. i/we/anybody can only go with the information you give, if it is not accurate, then our job as helpers is also not as accurate as it would be with the proper information. and nothing beats just actually being there. so, as you had explained, there was no spyware issues, no malware, you even said you did a HJT log. so if you were to get that info, not being able to be in your shoes to make sure it is correct then i think you would agree my FIRST steps to troubleshooting would be the correct way to start. i touched on the simple steps, wireless issues, software(and it could be this in relation to your KB) , and a keyboard. having said my piece sir, i wont bother you with any more of my professional opinions. my apologies
Dave

#6 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:50 PM

Well EXCUSE THE HELL OUTTA ME!
I was told by an HJT TEAM MEMBER to not act on advice from forum members unless they are part of the HJT TEAM. Under YOUR name it says FORUM REGULAR, not HJT TEAM MEMBER!
I appreciate help from people I feel I can trust....I don't know who you are or who you think you are. But I do know what I read. And the same goes for "confused_ user"! When I see it say "moderator", "hjt team member", or something that makes me think that you are part of BC other then just someone that visits the site often, then I will act on what advice you give. But it was my understanding that unless you are part of BC's team you are not even supposed to reply to posts concerning problems with computers. If that information is not correct then that is NOT MY FAULT. It is what I was told by a Team Member. So if I offended you, sorry. But, your sarcasism is not needed or appreciated. I replied once to someones post about a problem and in no time flat was repremanded for doing so by a Team Member. I guess that rule only applies to me. Nevermind! I'll figure it out on my own since no Team Member has replied anyway.

#7 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:15 PM

I was told by an HJT TEAM MEMBER to not act on advice from forum members unless they are part of the HJT TEAM. Under YOUR name it says FORUM REGULAR, not HJT TEAM MEMBER!

I can understand your confusion, and if I may offer an explanation. It has that advice in the HiJack This forum only because HiJack This is a very powerful program that can cause damage if someone does not know what they are doing. In the case that you are asking a question that is not related to HiJack This, others can (and often will) offer advice on fixing your problem.

Perhaps we can all just take a deep breath and calm down and see what we can do. Forum boards have many members that can fix a wide arrangement of problems in their spare and free time. Although you feel like we are not qualified to assist you in your problem, please consider that we are all volunteers and enjoy doing what we can.

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:31 PM

well put.
you had a more rational response than mine i think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users