Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP sp3 is stuck during install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TamaraSFL

TamaraSFL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. A couple of days ago I downloaded and installed the XP SP3. I thought it installed ok, but the next morning there was a warning message that I was low on disk space. I thought that seem odd and that the SP3 must have screwed something up. I tried to do a system restore. It was unable to restore as I didn't have enough disk space, and now all my prior restore points are gone.

I attempted to delete some programs and other excess junk, but my uninstall won't work. I managed to free up enough space to run a defrag last night.

I made a CD with the XP SP3 from the download center and am trying to reinstall the SP3 from the CD. I've gotten no error messages, but it appears to be stuck. "finishing installation" with the bar about 3/4's complete has been there for over an hour now. The details says that is "performing cleanup"

I can hear the hard drive cranking along, but it's making no progress. What can I do?

Thanks

Edited by TamaraSFL, 13 May 2010 - 02:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

ive had service packs take a long time to install for some reason. IMO, until someone here can provide a solution, i would let it keep running.

#3 TamaraSFL

TamaraSFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. I found a bunch of hits on google.... Their solution was to quit through task manager and reboot. I've done that and so far so good. My uninstall is working again too.

#4 geeksalive

geeksalive

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

The last 1/3 of the messages here are very informative about this problem:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/d0f52410-d99c-42d2-95c4-2a75fb64e692/?prof=required

The SP3 installer lies. When it says "performing cleanup," that's probably not what it's doing. It's probably installing hotfixes!

Run event viewer and look at the system events, to see what it has been up to. You'll probably see a bunch of hotfixes being installed.

In my case, the hotfixes were being installed at a glacial rate: one every 10-15 minutes. Process Explorer revealed two invisible instances of Internet Explorer, one of which was hogging the CPU. After I killed Internet Explorer, Event Viewer showed hotfixes taking about 2 minutes each, which still seems slow, but is a huge improvement.

Microsoft people, if you ever read this, THIS IS A BUG! Installing additional hotfixes is NOT "performing cleanup." When you display a message that says it is performing cleanup when it is ACTUALLY doing something else, that is FALSE information conveyed to the user, which is a BUG. SO FIX IT!!!

In this case, it is a bug with real, significant consequences, because it leads frustrated users to halt the installation when they really should let it continue to run. What it SHOULD do is display a message that says something like "installing hotfix 1 of 100" or "installing hotfix KB123456" etc.. It is IMPORTANT that users be able to tell the difference between stuck/hung and actually doing something useful. When you display the same "performing cleanup" message for hours, it is natural to assume that it is stuck/hung, so it is natural for the frustrated user to do the wrong thing (i.e., abort it -- while cursing Bill Gates' name and vowing to buy a Mac next time).

Dave (GeeksAlive)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users