Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about laptop battery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sunnysky

sunnysky

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

I've a laptop battery that doesn't work after a water spill. I'm just wondering, how exactly does water damage a laptop battery? I know it leads to a short circuit where the negative is directly connected to the positive. But I'm curious to know more details...for example, are the individual cells destroyed too? How does this happen? Or does the water only fry the wires inside? And, is there any way to fix it (other than buying a new battery)?

btw im asking about a lithium battery

Edited by sunnysky, 13 May 2010 - 11:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

Was this battery immersed in water?

How exactly did the battery end up getting wet?

Last question, was water pouring/dripping out of the battery at all?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 sunnysky

sunnysky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

not immersed...but I spilled some bottled water on it...not a whole lot, maybe a few tablespoons. When I removed the battery from the laptop, it had some water drops on it, so I wiped it completely. I don't think I saw any water dripping out of the battery. There's not really any place for the water to enter the battery, other than the part where the battery connects to the laptop. Not sure what really happened, but my battery died. :thumbsup:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:26 AM

Try this, it might help. Take a very fine grade piece of Emory cloth and lightly run it across the battery's contacts, just enough to remove any possible oxidation from the contacts.

I also have to ask you if your laptop suffered any water damage as well. So please provide that answer.

Your problem there, might be the same thing, those contacts do have a habit of oxidizing from the water/air combination, sometimes it looks like a fine white powder. You may need to clean those contacts as well, perhaps a clean dry toothbrush will do the trick of getting at those.

Try that and let us know if your battery now accepts a charge.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users