Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MRT installed on External Back-up Drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nove

Nove

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

I did a bit of poking around and I've read that MRT.exe is the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. And it looks like the folder it is in was installed around the same time as my last window's update (yesterday, 5-12).

Still, it worried me enough to send me on back to Bleeping Computer - but I think this is more likely my ignorance about how the install works rather than any horrible infection.

About a month ago I got hit by a few viruses and some malware. Schrauber (from the BC Malware Response Team) cleaned me up, and I've been using my computer with kid-gloves ever since while waiting on Windows 7 (I currently use Vista). I picked up an external drive and backed most of my data onto that, then I reformatted my main system and reinstalled. Today, I went looking in my External drive and found a new top-level folder: 37ad8794475a2dcfb7cfcf89fdd6e20c.

Random characters set off warning bells, but when they're that long I usually think of them as system-created (malicious ones I usually view as being normally 8 characters long). I poked into the folder, it said it was behind security, I went through that and found a single file in there - MRT.exe. It's an executable, so I am on guard. Properties and folder details tell me it was created yesterday, about when Windows Update ran.

I just want to know WHY MRT got installed on my external drive, presuming, of course, that it is the malicious removal tool MS puts out. Does Windows just install it on any available drive? If that's the case, does my ipod now have it?

Is this something I ought to delete?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swiftideas

swiftideas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:55 AM

Absolutely the same situation here too.

I keep very few few documents on this external hard drive. It's purely for back up and very hardly used.

However two days ago a new folder was created by the title - 6236b5edc7f7a4fbc6ce70. Inside this I found MRT.exe. Nothing else at all.

Like you I'm concerned why this would write to my external hard drive without obtaining any user permission.

Not sure why this happened. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users