Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on Yahoo entries in Firefox About:Config files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

I updated to the latest version of Windows Live Messenger earlier today. Live Messenger installed ok but I had to retry a second time to install Live Mail. This was successful but the box to set home page and search provider never reappeared again and I exited WLM once the install was finished. I then opened up Firefox to go online only to find that my home page and search provider had been changed to MSN and Bing. I had a bookmarked shortcut to my home page which hadn't changed and used it to Google these events and quickly found a link to a post which explained how to reset them to the original entries using the About:Config option in Firefox. This went ok and my home page and search engine have now been reset to Google and Firefox.

However, whilst in About:Config I noticed several entries for Yahoo which I was also going to reset but found that the reset option was greyed out and therefore unavailable. Is this normal?. I also saw several entries for the Ask Toolbar which I did reset but have no idea how they came to be there as I will not have Ask Toolbar on my PC. I did a search which came up empty so would like to know if these entries are meant to be there or how have they got there?. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

Without knowing the exact entries, it's hard to say anything absolute. However, in general, entries in about:config will only offer the reset function if their value has been changed from the default value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users