Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Cloning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

H,
After getting help to clean my computer am now experiencing a problem when I clone the HDD to another.
I,m running XP Pro and use Acronis True Image. I have never experienced any problems before. When I started to clone the drive after about 50% through cloning C drive I got then message cannot read sector click to retry, Ignore or Ignore all. I tried Retry without success so chose Ignore and Acronis continued.
When the system rebooted I tired CHKDSK C: /f. It couldn,t lock the drive but CHKDSK continued when I rebooted and found no problems. I then tried CHKDSK on the cloned partition, again no problem detected.
I was still not convinced so I cloned to a different HDD and got exactly the same messages.
My computer seems OK running from the origional HDD which is supposed to have a bad sector.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Regards,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

Acronis is telling you what you already know....the old drive has a bad sector. Cloning programs attempt to make an exact image of the existing drive. They often throw errors when trying to read a corrupt section of the disk. A disk with a bad sector which has already beed scanned with chkdsk will run fine since chkdsk will mark the sector as bad essentially rendering it useable by the operating system. However the real question is why did it go bad. In my opinion this is just a precursor to more bad sectors and the eventual crash of the computer due to data loss. Best bet, stick the newly cloned drive in as your primary and forget about the old drive.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the advice,

Wouldn't care but the drive is only about a year old.

Regards,

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users