Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router's Signal Strength has dropped.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 InaPinch

InaPinch

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

Hello guys.

My laptop, running Windows XP Professiona,l was recently infected with malware and was fixed with you guys' help. I installed avast! as my antivirus (I'm loving it) to prevent further infections and tried installing ZoneAlarm to serve as my firewall.

I got an error message during the ZoneAlarm installation and wasn't able to complete it. I decided to uninstall ZoneAlarm and use the default Windows Firewall instead. I later read that ZoneAlarm is not really compatible with avast! and that many people dislike it, so, I was happy uninstalling it.

Now, the problem is that after the forementioned incident my wireless internet sometimes seems to slow down to a crawl. Curiously enough, when I move my cursor over to my Wireless Network Connection icon on my taskbar, it shows a Speed of 54.0 Mbps, an Excellent Signal Strength, and a Connected Status; also, when I double click the icon, it shows 5 bars, however, when I click on "View Wireless Networks" the router I'm connected to shows only a one bar connection.

At first, I thought Windows Firewall might be causing the problem, but, I turned it off, and the problem is still there. After reading nightmare stories about ZoneAlarm, I'm worried that the problem originates from the failed installation attempt and that removing the program did not change the fact that my connection was already ruined. This is pure speculation though.

My router is a 2wire 2701hg-b

and my computer connects to it with a D-Link AirPlus DWL-G630 wireless card.

I brought my laptop over to the room where the router is, and I still got only one bar.

I'm pretty sure that before, the signal strength shown by double clicking the wireless icon and the signal strength shown under "View Wireless Networks" matched. This is the first time I see two different signal strengths. :thumbsup:

Any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: Moved from Web Browsing/Email to more appropriate Networking ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 15 May 2010 - 04:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

So, do you actually notice a considerable speed reduction when browsing, downloading, etc...? Or is it just the bars, icons, etc..that are bothering you?

What is the rated speed of your internet? See what http://speedtest.net/ says (it won't be the same as your rated speed).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 InaPinch

InaPinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

There is definitely a great reduction of speed at times; it also takes a very long time to connect to the internet when this occurred instantaneously before.

The speedtest results are,

4.95 Mb/s download speed, and 0.61 Mb/s upload speed. A 64 ms ping.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

I see...

Those speeds are pretty good (compared to my DSL). What is the rated speed of your internet according to your ISP?

I think I'll have this moved to the Networking sub-forum, as that seems more relevant. :thumbsup:

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

A lot of times a not-quite-clean install or uninstall of firewall or antivirus will leave problems attached to the network connection. The easiest way to clean it up is to delete the connection and re-add it. The simplest way is to go into the System -> Devices screen and delete your LAN (or wireless) controller and let Windows re-add it after a reboot. Then rediscover the connection and set it up as needed, usually entering the Pre-Shared Key (wireless password) is enough.

#6 InaPinch

InaPinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

How do I go about deleting the connection? When I right click it, "Delete" is grayed out.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

Do you have an Administrator account on the computer? A standard user account typically has features like this disabled for safety reasons. You'll need to be logged in as an Admin to delete the connection.

#8 InaPinch

InaPinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, I believe I'm logged in as the administrator as this is the only account on the computer. Although, it has my name instead of "Administrator"

Edited by InaPinch, 23 May 2010 - 11:38 PM.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

Well, then you are an administrator, if that's the only account. But I'm not sure why you can't delete that connection. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users