Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted xp and now do not have a lan connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 potshot2506

potshot2506

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:40 AM

Hi,

My problem is that I was given a computer and after reformatting with xp I now don't have a lan connection and can not connect to the internet. I have had a look in device manager and under other devices ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, network controller, PCI simple communications controller,SM Bus controller and video controller all have a question mark and an exclamation mark beside them. I have a wireless connection on my laptop and I can also run another laptop on the cable. Have the drivers for these devices been lost during reformatting and if so what drivers do I need to download? How do I download straight onto disk without affecting my laptop? The computer is DSE Athlon 2600 and xp is 2002 with service pack 1. Any help would be greatly received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 morfia

morfia

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:36 AM

Not really on some computers you don't need to install the drivers. The answer is pretty easy go to the manufacturer website and you will need to manually need to install the drivers as each motherboard vary's in its components. ..... I can help you find the drivers for your pc ummm please tell me the model of the pc you have?

like example would be dell 2400 etc....

Edited by morfia, 13 May 2010 - 05:42 AM.

#3 potshot2506

potshot2506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:47 AM

The only thing that I can see on the computer is DSE SAMURAI 2600. I have xp on my laptop, can I back the drivers up and use them to fix the desktop? If so how do I install the back up files?

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:09 AM

There are programs you can download that should be able to tell you what your hardware is and who made it. One that I use, it's free, is Speccy. It's from the same people who make CCleaner. If you download it and run it, under the "network" icon, bottom left, it should tell you what you need to know about your LAN connection. Hopefully.. :thumbsup:

I say hopefully because right now I'm on wireless laptop and it gives me that info. Hopefully it will give you the info you need on your LAN card to get the drivers you need.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 potshot2506

potshot2506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:24 AM

The problem is stopping me from getting the desktop on line so I am guessing that this will not help as I am unable to download onto this computer.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:27 AM

The devices with question marks need drivers to work properly. If it is a name brand computer go to their website from any computer and download the all of the drivers from the support section by using the name and/or model number of the computer. If it is a custom built desktop and the devices in question are part of the motherboard you will need get the manufacturer name and model off the motherboard then go the website and download the same way. Drivers for any device can be downloaded on any computer without fear of them messing up the computer. Just remember to save them to an easily found file, preferably something on the desktop, so you can either burn them or use a flash drive to transfer them to the reformatted computer. In the future always go online before reformatting and get the latest drivers so they are on hand and ready to go. Make sure you get all of the drivers for all of the hardware devices even if it seems to be in working order. The manufacturer often includes fixes for bugs found in earlier drivers like the ones included with windows that eliminate instablilty and other errors.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 potshot2506

potshot2506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:15 AM

Hey,

Thanks for that Baltboy, did as you said and yes I am on line.

Thanks a heap.

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

Any time :thumbsup:
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users