Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hell

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Coito

Coito

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:03 AM

Hi guys,having a prob very weird... It's a WinXp Pro that's all confused, it won't run any file directly,only by right-clicking, choosing run as (administrator) and checking a option below (protect ... don't remember);also it won't let me use the repair using the cd (pc restarts);also :-) says that it can't find rundll32.exe (the file is there!) when I open the control panel... i know that we can install windows without formating, but i don't know if it will erase the Documents and Settings folder,which is very important!!! help me please with any clues. lots of thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:41 PM

Hi there,

Try this first:

Start > Run > copy and paste in:
sfc /scannow
Click 'OK'
You will need your XP/2000*Grinler disk. If you don't have it and instead only have a recovery CD, there is a work around. View the following link for a tutorial:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Let me know if that solves the issue...if not we'll come at it another way. But, please follow the instructions in the above link regarding the I386 folder.

Big Smiles

HS

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

Do you have an AV program installed and updated?

Do you have a firewall installed and functioning?

Have you checked for malware, using at least 2 different programs? I use MS Antispyware, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware SE. No one program is set up to find all the various types of spyware.

Have you run chkdsk?

Running Chkdsk to Repair File Systems - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...kd_tro_xudm.asp

Louis

#4 Coito

Coito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:48 AM

Thanks for the tips,I managed the prob by installing a drive image,but eitherway that wouldn't work,because most executable files didn't run,it showed a msg saying that couldn't find the file,even if it was on disk... also,the only way to run sfc was through cmd,and even that was hard,only by right clicking and choosing run as,blablabla... well,it is working now,thanks a lot!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users