Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Installation Stops

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MDR

MDR

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:45 AM

I am trying to repair the installation of XP Professional and when it gets part way through the install it stops on device installation. It looks like it is working, the cursor moves, but the install has stopped. I have tried rebooting it several times and it ends up at the same point.

I have disabled everything I can in the BIOS.

The PC does not give and error message.

It is a DELL C400 laptop - 2 1/2 years old

I do believe it is a device driver that is causing the problem, but I am not sure how to work around it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

Open your device manager and go through it looking for yellow or red warnings.

You will be able to update your drivers from there.

#3 MDR

MDR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:03 AM

I tried to do a manual update as you suggest but Windows was unable to find drivers that matched the hardware.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 04:21 PM

Missing drivers should not impact your install.

Even in Win 98, that item would just not be functional until the driver is installed.

I've had installs stop like that...but I received messages telling me what files were causing the problem. I just elected to skip installation of those files and the installation continued with success (Win 9x).

I've not had that situation with XP Home.

Was this install of XP a clean install or is it an upgrade over a Win 9x system?

Louis

#5 MDR

MDR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

XP was a clean installation. The repair stops when it is unable to find some of the drivers through the installation process. I am sure there must be a method of forcing the repair to go by this by removing some existing files from the current install.

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:22 PM

When you say it stops.
How long have you waited for it to proceed?
I have seen the repair install hang for as long as 10-15 minutes then take off again and finish. I have no explaination as to why this is but I have seen it on a few computers including my personal test computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users