Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer eRecovery Management further information

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 qtaqq

qtaqq

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

Is anyone familar with how the Acer eRecovery Management system works?

We have a Acer Extensa 5420 laptop with Windows Vista installed. I have created a backup/restore point. I was wondering what the difference between the four options for creating backup disks?
The difference between:
Create factory default disc
Create user backup disc
Create current system configuration backup disc
Create driver and application backup disc

I have read the help section in the eRecovery Management application and a manual I found online but I still don't understand the difference between these options, especially between Create user backup disc and Create current system configuration backup disc.

My goals are to have a full backup of the laptop as it currently is including Windows Vista and all files.

I am still used to older operating systems where you had a disk to reload the OS after a format or if serious problems occured. Am I able to create just a Windows Vista disk? Also, if I am able to create a disk, how do you reload Windows Vista when we don't have any type of code to enter? Second question having to deal with a Windows Vista reload disk is it possible to use this disk if you were to install this on a new hardrive, say for example we upgrade to a larger hardrive on the laptop?

Sorry for all the questions I just have not been able to find any further details on what the backup disc options actually do and have never owned a operating system that didn't have a disk.
Thanks

Edited by qtaqq, 13 May 2010 - 12:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

Create factory default disc

The above is out of the box config.

Create user backup disc

Backs up just the user files.

Create current system configuration backup disc

Creates an image of the current system state.

Create driver and application backup disc

Self Explanatory.

#3 qtaqq

qtaqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

Will the create factory default disc create a windows vista disk as well? How does it know I have a Windows Vista key, is it embeded in the disk?

Is the "Create current system configuration backup disc" like a create factory default disc and user backup disc combined?

"Creates an image of the current system state." What is an image and how is that used to create a backup of the current system? Wouldn't it need whole files?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users