Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very strange sound coming from computer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sjvirchow

sjvirchow

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

I'm going to try to explain this the best I can. Anytime my computer is doing something, (sounds like it's only from a select number of programs) I can hear a weird low volume (but still very noticeable) screeching noise that gets higher in pitch. It only lasts about 3-4 seconds and sometimes happens again immediately. Sounds like it's either the HDD or...network traffic. (I know it sounds weird.) For example when updating Avast antivirus definitions. Anyways here's my specs if they help.

Asus K8N-VM Micro ATX Mobo
AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.6Ghz Single Core CPU (Socket 754)
1GB DDR RAM
320GB WD Caviar Blue HDD
Nvidia Geforce 7600GS (PCI-E)
Windows XP Home Edition

Don't worry I'll be upgrading all this soon, (except for the HDD) it's just that I don't have a job and I'm a little short on money (Upgrades would cost about $350.00 off Newegg.) :thumbsup:
Hardware: The parts of a computer that can be kicked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

:flowers: to Bleeping Computer, sjvirchow.

I've experienced something similar to this before on my Mom's old Acer laptop...if you had the wireless turned on and closed the lid, it would make this high-pitched noise...turn off the wi-fi, doesn't do it. It appeared to be some sort of interference between the wireless card and some component of the lid.

This may or may not be the same thing you are experiencing.

I doubt it is the hard drive, in your case...a hard drive making that kind of noise could not function for long without blowing up. :thumbsup:

Is the sound coming out of the speakers or can you narrow it down to a particular place around the case? Try turning off various components, and see if you can narrow down what could be causing it.

Could it be caused by your fan(s)? Try thoroughly blowing out the case with a can of compressed air.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 morfia

morfia

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:46 AM

Hi the most obvious not saying it is but most likely their is a alot of dust in the fan system that will clock up that could be making that screecthing noise.

#4 sjvirchow

sjvirchow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

Hi the most obvious not saying it is but most likely their is a alot of dust in the fan system that will clock up that could be making that screecthing noise.

Well the funny thing is, is that it only comes from my headphones, and/or plugged in speakers, (i use headphones) it's an audible noise, it's not coming from the physical mobo or cpu, or any of the fans.

#5 sjvirchow

sjvirchow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Also, I noticed that in Foxit reader, when I move the mouse, I can "hear" the mouse moving from my speakers. Even the slightest nudge, and I hear it. It's like I'm hearing...data? It's really strange. Any ideas?

#6 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

i know that at my computer, right before i receive a text message on my phone or right after i send a text message, i have to turn my speakers off because i get such a loud audible noise coming from them. I think it has something to do with Electro Magnetic Interference or something like that. Im not sure if this is the same thing you are experiencing, but our situations seem simular.

ps. i am not looking for help or resolutions to my problem, i was just relating to this situation.

Edited by thicool, 13 May 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#7 sjvirchow

sjvirchow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

I think you might be right. That sounds like it. But... how come I only hear it with certain programs, and how can I fix this? Maybe I should check my wiring inside. It's kind of a mess.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

Hmm...that is weird... :thumbsup:

Try uninstalling your sound card driver...then reboot (and hence reinstalling it). That may or may not fix it. But it's something to try. :flowers:

#9 sjvirchow

sjvirchow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

If it helps, my Sound Card driver (via Asus's website) is the terrible (in my opinion) SoundMax ADI1986A Audio Driver (last revision in 2006) This board is about... 6-7 years old, so it could just be dieing on me? here's a picture of it. http://tinyurl.com/2ejzzy8

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

so it could just be dieing on me?

That's certainly possible...

But try reinstalling the driver and see what happens.

#11 sjvirchow

sjvirchow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hmm... after reinstalling the audio driver it still does it. This is irritating. Changing the volume in Windows has no effect... I just thought of something. I'll try plugging the headphones into the Mobo's audio port instead of the case's front panel audio. That would tell me that it's not the HD Audio cable coming from the front panel to the header on the mobo.

#12 sjvirchow

sjvirchow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

Well well well. No weird sound when plugged directly into the mobo. When plugged into the front panel connector, i get weird sounds. It's funny because when I got the case, one of the two USB jacks didn't work. (Cooler Master Centurion 5)

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

Well, it sounds it's a problem with the front panel connector...perhaps a wire, cable, connection, etc...

#14 sjvirchow

sjvirchow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

Or maybe the header on the mobo. But it's not that big of a deal. It was a cheap case ($50) so I'm not that concerned, now that it's resolvable. Thanks Guys! These forum's are great!

#15 Chris PCS

Chris PCS

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hi sjvirchow,

I would like suggest you to try scanning with malware bytes software, and also try to run boot time scan thru Avast Home.

Regards
Chris

Please reply at your convenince. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users