Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Types of monitors you can plug a PS2 into?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

I don't have a lot of space to put a tv and PS2 onto, but the flat screen tvs and monitors I am finding are all hd-quality. This, if anyone knows, looks very bad when being used with a PS2/PSX games. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places for a monitor or flat-screen tv with the three inputs.

Can anoyne point me in the right direction?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

just to clarify you are talking about a play station 2 right?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

You can use just about any TV/monitor with the PS2/PSX that uses either Component (RGB)Connections, S-Video, or RCA (RWY). That being said the games will not look the greatest due to an HDTV having a Higher resolution than the console. PSx and PS2 are both limited to 480p where as the minimum for HD is 720p. The TV in my living room has "modes" to set the screen resolution to match the console or TV station's output.

Posted Image

#4 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

Yes, xpds. I'm looking for a standard-def flatscreen with the red/yellow/white cable set that comes with a playstation 2.

Spyder, I'm led to understand that they might have a lower mode, but it doesn't provide the picture quality a standard-def television can provide? Like the difference between "good" and "good enough?" I'm not finding a lot about standard v hi-def for gaming purposes, other than the articles that talk about the trend to hd as an industry, so I'm finding it hard to put anything concrete to all the anecdotes and hearsay I've come across.

#5 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:36 PM

are you looking for a type of monitor that supports s-video? You could always try an adapter...

http://www.svideo.com/video2vga.html

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

SD Flatscreens are hard to come by and cost as much as HD Flatscreens.

Heres the general run down of SD and HDTV base resolutios and aspect ratios

SD is around 640x480 (4:3) known as 480

Low end HD is around 1280x720 (16:9) known as 720 i or p (interlaced or progressive scan refreshing)

High end HD is around 1920x1080 (16:9) known as 1080 i or p aka True or Full HD

In general the PS2 is only capable of 640x580 resolution (some games will boost the resolution) and is designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio. so when you play it on an HDTV without setting the TV to SD and 4:3 mode the games tend to get wider and the resolution will look bad.

For the sake of Gaming a 720p is more than enough. I have a 720p in the living room and my Xbox360 looks just fine on it (of course I'm content with the old SDTV I have in my room most of the time). My friend has a new Vizio 1080p 42" and the games look much crisper on it then my SD but not so much more then my 720p. In fact, most Xbox360 games are set at 720 max resolution anyways.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users