Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropping connection with router (wired)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SteveODotNet

SteveODotNet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

Hello,

I have recently been having an issue with my router (Netgear WGR614v5, I believe). I currently have it connected to my DSL modem. If I connect my computer directly to the DSL modem, I have absolutely no connection issues and it is very fast. If I plug the router into the modem, and then my computer or XBox360 into the router, my connection is slow (even ping times), and every so often (more than a couple of times an hour) I can't connect to anything. Windows does not show that I've lost connection, but nothing works. After a minute or so the problem seems to go away. I've experienced this on multiple computers and like I said, even my XBox360 (when trying to play multiplayer games, I can't hardly connect to any games even at 120ms latency. If I take the router out of the picture, I connect to games < 50ms ping immediately).

I have wireless enabled but like I said, I have this problem with both wired and wireless connections. I have wireless enabled and set to G only using WPA-PSK, if that matters. Is the router toast? Is there anything I can do to diagnose this problem or do I need to just try a different router?

Thanks,
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

Have you ever did a firmware update while logged into the router through a wired connection?

I say wired because it is not a good idea to access the router through its wireless connection, because you can loose the wireless connection during the firmware update.

There is a menu with-in the routers firmware which checks for firmware updates from the NetGear web site, you should log into the router and try doing this, as it might have an update available that corrects this problem.

Just a quick add in here, the router's login is through a web browser and typing the following url http://www.routerlogin.net this will pop up a box asking for the user name and password, if both are correct, your loged into the routers firmware.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 May 2010 - 11:25 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 SteveODotNet

SteveODotNet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

Yes, I just upgraded the firmware to the latest available from Netgear to try to resolve the problem.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:54 PM

OK what type of wire are you using for the wired connection? Is it Cat 5 or higher?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users