Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ANy ideas if and what Virus I may have encountered?(LONG)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EVILMORPHGOD

EVILMORPHGOD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Just curious, this question is for the MAC Wizards.

One of my macs is used by at least 4 employees, I have little control over what they look at and what they do.

I was alerted that the mac would not longer go online and they were having a hard time getting the MAC to see the printer.

So, I took a look, would not see the DSL Modem. I tried reconfiguring network/PPP and all. No luck. Dead issue. Then I then ran permissions and it found a bunch of stuff wrong and "fixed" that. Still no Internet. Then went back to Scan Disk and it gave me some kind of fatal error ( can't remember exact Red Message).

I ran Onyx and did a "reasonable" cleaning. It found issues when it ran system permissions and such. No detectable improvements resulted.

So, I tried to reboot with system disk ( OSX 10.4) no luck. The CD/DVD would not work at all???? Unplugged it, I opened up machine and cleaned out dust and such. Still no luck. I then removed CD/DVD drive and cleaned it and put it back in. Still did not work. I restarted the comp and removed the drives data bus and plugged it back in. It started working? Ok, rebooted off system disk. Ran disk utility, found all sorts of problems. MANY problems with DVD permissions and such as well as a host of others.

I restarted comp and it took a long time to load up OSX...... then it failed to see the CD/DVD drive again?

I then restarted system off another clean disk partition and looked at the infected system with Disk Utility and once again permission problems...ones with CD/DVD... "Fixed them"....

Restarted from the "bad" system, things looked good... went to System Pref - Network and tried to get connected. I started getting a message that the Network connection has been changed by another application. I would not allow me to make any changes? Restarted from clean partition and got online.

I ran onyx again - ALL. Got internet back on the "infected partition"!. So I installed CLAMxav onto the "infected" system. I started having issues with it when I tried to open it and it would shut "it" off. Ok, I am thinking virus. No matter what, I could not run this program. I rebooted with system disk and ran utilities, fixed "same" issues. I then installed CLAM(ran updates) on the clean disk partition and ran a scan on the infected partition. NOTHING that looked liked a problem was detected. Now I am running MacScan and so far nothing.

Am I just retarded? I have lots of MAC experience and have many machines but rarely do I see viruses. Back in the days of 8.6 - 9.2 I got the Boo Hoo Virus, a few trojans...

I was just wondering if the experts have any ideas... I feel as if I have/had a virus.... but time will tell. Any thoughts?

THanks!!!! Kevin :blink: :wacko: :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EVILMORPHGOD

EVILMORPHGOD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

One last note... the "infected" partition will still not run Clamxav on its own system. I open it, it quits. I can only run Clam from the clean partition and look at the "infected" system.

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

are both partitions on the same drive or are there two hard disks ?

#4 EVILMORPHGOD

EVILMORPHGOD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

Same drive. I just partitioned it when I set it up so I would always have a clean one as backup.

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:03 AM

It's not a virus.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...004011205473937
http://thexlab.com/faqs/faqs.html

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

you seemed to have covered a lot of ground. the links above look helpful. if it was mine i would save my stuff and re-install.

#7 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

"Your network settings have been changed by another application" message.

We went through this fix. If you have multiple locations you will need to have a paper copy of all the settings for each location you have; 3x5 cards are wonderful for this.
To begin restart with the Shift key down.
When the computer restarts it will be in Safe Boot mode.
Open the System Preferences.
Open the Network preferences.
Keep clicking OK to the message and get to Edit Locations menu.
Create a new location.
Name it what you like but do not duplicate a name; you can always go back and rename it.
Then delete all the other locations.
Restart the computer as you normally would.
The Network settings are like new again with only the one you just created.
You will have to go in and setup the Network settings manually.
If you are using Airport you may have to turn Airport on again and go from there.
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users