Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Help with boot sector file thing.?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 swangin50

swangin50

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

First off, I'm a car guy so please be easy on me....lol. I got my in laws computer that was full of virus' and trojans, etc.

They tried to reinstall XP pro and ended up with it on there twice. So at the startup they had the option to pick 2 different XP pros which were running on 2 different drives.

They did some research thinking they could figure it out and then they ended up on the boot sector screen that shows up in plain text. Well they ended up deleting both of those and now the computer won't start back up.

Now I have it and I can't get anywhere, only to bios. I can't get into safe mode or anything.

It has the Winfast screen with (where the press del to get into bios)

Then it goes to a another screen where the last thing it says is boot from cd: but then just goes blank screen.

What do I do???

Help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

Hi swangin50 :trumpet: to BC. :inlove:

Well me an my dad are long time car guys and I know just about everything he does about a car he owns a 2002 mustang GT! :thumbsup: :flowers:

So any way do you have an xp install disc? :cool:

Edited by computerxpds, 12 May 2010 - 06:35 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 swangin50

swangin50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

No XP install disc. It's XP pro and the computer place they go it from didn't come with any disc. They've had it for about 5 years now and that shop is no longer there. But I had a friend burn a copy of XP pro for me, he's a computer guy but it won't do anything. Computer just stays black, check bios and it says cdrom as first. What do I do??

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

the disc is probably a bad/unbootable disc he probably burned it wrong, any way what are the specs of the machine? Ie manufacturer and model?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 swangin50

swangin50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

It says Winfast on the board, the computer ET systems which I'm sure it's just the case???? It's pretty basic, XP 512mb memory, etc.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

is there any model number anywhere on it?
sigcomp.png 

#7 swangin50

swangin50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

The board says k7s741mg-67 and k7s741gxmg-6l sticker in case has 157686 kak 06/01/05 that's all I can fiind

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

Foxconn Motherboard

Louis

#9 swangin50

swangin50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

Foxconn Motherboard

Louis

Thanks for that Louis, now what am I supposed to do? lol

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

That was provided as a partial response to manufacturer and model :thumbsup:.

Have you tried to boot into safe mode?

I would try running the bootcfg /rebuild command from the XP Recovery Console. Sounds to me as if the boot.ini was either deleted or the boot entries were deleted from it.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Once the CD is properly made, insert it into the optical drive and reboot the system. Since the optical drive is already the first option, there is no need to change that.

Then...try to run the chkdsk /r command, following guidance at How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk.

Let us know if that is successful.

If it is...then type bootcfg /rebuild and hit Enter (just as you did to run chkdsk /r).

Please read and follow Bootcfg Command - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980.

Louis

#11 swangin50

swangin50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

hey, thanks for you help guys, you were right the disc was bad. I got it up and running now but I can 't get it to go online. I've installed internet explorer 8 and tried to get online but the network adapter says local area connection, a network cable is unplugged. What do I do now?

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Hamluis for the info and the help, I was a little tied up with some one else,

anyway how are you trying to connect I'm guessing ethernet/wired?
sigcomp.png 

#13 swangin50

swangin50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Yeah I'm trying to connect ethernet wired from my wireless router. All other computers work. I know they they use AOL and Time Warner roadrunner.

#14 swangin50

swangin50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

Yeah I'm trying to connect ethernet wired from my wireless router. All other computers work. I know they they use AOL and Time Warner roadrunner.

I meant to say that my inlaws used AOL Time Warner at there house.

#15 swangin50

swangin50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

When I go on IE I get the IE cannot display the webpage, then I click on diagnose connection problems. I comes up with Consult your computers manufactures troubleshooting info. etc.

I then view diagnostics log.

several that say warn but at the bottom 3 says error. Cound not make an HTTP connection, Cound not make an HTTPS connection and Cound not a make an FTP connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users