Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Processes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

I just checked my Task Manager and I'm seeing some useless processes like YahooAUService.exe and I can't seem to find it in msconfig. How does it start and how do I remove it from starting

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hi,

You can use a startup manager such as Autorun or Spybot to control all your startup programs. Autoruns is a little more complicated than Spybot and you since you might already have Spybot on your system, I will provide instructions below on how to use it for startup programs. It is what I use.

Open Spybot, then go to the top bar, the toolbar, where it lists file, mode, language and help. Click on mode and select advanced mode. Then, go to the panel on the left side, where there are four icon type buttons with three box type buttons below titled, Settings, Tools and Info. Click on Tools, then, towards the bottom of the list on the left, should be the third one from the bottom, click on System Startup. That is where you will find all things that load on startup. There is a bar on the right side of that window with 2 arrows. If you click on that, it will open another panel. When you click on an item listed in the startup list, if there is info available about that item, it will be listed in that panel.

Any program listed that does not have info available for it there, or you are just unsure of, you can either google it or just post it here and I, or someone else, will help you determine if it should stay checked or not. If you decide it is not something that you want loading at startup, just uncheck it.

The ones at the bottom of the list are Windows processes and you do NOT want to uncheck those. On my system the bottom 9 belong to Windows.

Do NOT uncheck anything that you are unsure what it is or if it needs to be loading on startup until you are sure.

Edited by Stang777, 12 May 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#3 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

I still dont see YahooAUService o.o

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

You might try looking for YahooAUService.exe.

It should be in your C:\Program Files\Yahoo\SoftwareUpdate folder, if valid.

I suspect that "AU" is for "auto update" or something similar.

Louis

#5 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:19 AM

How exactly do I disable it
EDIT: I also see mbamserice.exe
I suspect it is from malware bytes. I already have a anti virus, how do I disable that one too.

Edited by BrainyTehBrain, 13 May 2010 - 06:20 AM.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

Malware Bytes is an anti spyware, not an anti virus. Are you using the paid version?

#7 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

Yes

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

Try this:

Petti: How annoying that the process remained even after running the Add/Remove programs uninstaller :thumbsup: If you like, you can give FreeFixer a try. It should be able to remove the yahooauservice.exe from your system. Please let us know if that solved the problem.

You can also disable the program by the following sequence, assuming you run Windows XP:
1. Open the Windows Control Panel.
2. Switch to classic view.
3. Double-click on Administrative Tools
4. Double-click on Services.
5. Locate the Yahoo Updater, and double-click it.
6. Choose Disabled in the Startup type drop-down.
7. Click OK
8. Restart your machine.

Did that solve your problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users