Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winsrv not found, then another problem (sigh...)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 suiycfui

suiycfui

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

My son tells me he has a virus on his computer. (Usually the only time I hear from him is when he has a problem!) First there was the following message, on the always attractive blue screen:

STOP: c0000135 {Unable To Locate Component} This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

After poking around the forums for a little while, I found a thread where running chkdsk /r c was suggested. I did this and rebooted. Now I get another blue screen with this:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x8AFC6538,0xC0000102,0x00000000)

Since this screen has shown up, I have not been able to get past it using any method. (Safe Mode, Recovery Console, etc.) And to make matters a little more interesting, he tells me he no longer has the system disks.

His machine is running (or not currently running, depending on your point of view) XP Professional. Can anyone offer up assistance to someone who can follow detailed step-by-step instructions, but not much else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 suiycfui

suiycfui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

Oh, well, never mind. My son, never known for his patience, has taken his system to the shop. Thanks to those who looked in!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users