Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

I am running a PC with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and I have been having issues connecting to my router's browser based configuration page. I type in the default gateway in either firefox or internet explorer and it results in either a unable to connect to page message or a redirect to my default search engine. I ran an ipconfig to be sure the gateway hasn't been changed or anything to that matter and it has indeed remained the same. I attempted to ping the router and I recieved all 4 requests back, which I have been told is not a good sign and that it means something is wrong. I have a Linksys WRT54G router version 6 with default firmware and I have called for support but only to find out that they will not help me unless I pay them $40. That being the last thing I want to do I came here in hopes for a better alternative. I would like to gain access to the configuration page to be able to enable better security settings and possibly flash the firmware to dd-wrt. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

Step 1: Visit this link.

Step 2: If you decide to go ahead with the RESET, this should help.

Moreover, you don't need to access the 'configuration' page, to upgrade the firmware.

Good luck!

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 May 2010 - 08:40 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:28 AM

I'm sorry but I should have added I have tried power cycling and resetting the router, neither helping my issue. Also, how would I upgrade the firmware outside accessing the config page?

#4 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

What is the default ip address that you are using to access your router? Unless you changed the ip addressing in the router the Linksys routers default gateway addresses I have dealt with were 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1?

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

If you ping your router from the local subnet you should always recieve four positive results. That indicates you are connected at the network level. This is good as it means your computer can reach the router. The only things that could be going wrong are: 1. you are somehow trying in the wrong IP address, 2. your browser security settings are interfering, or 3. your firewall settings are interfering. Of all of those number 2 makes the most sense since you can ping it I am assuming your have typed the address correctly. Also I doubt it is the firewall since you can ping the router. So that leaves us with browser settings. Try setting them to the lowest level as a tempory measure and attempt to connect to the router again. Once you have finished even if you are not successful don't forget to set them to their previous level again.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

The default ip for the router is 192.168.1.1 I just reformatted after adding a new hard drive and tried accessing it again and still wasn't able to get to it. I am up for giving it a try anyways, what browser settings are you talking about. I'm assuming something in the Internet Options in IE or preferences/settings in Firefox.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

If you have reformatted the computer IE should work. the settings i and refering to are the internet zone settings. You can try but after a re-install of the OS the problem sounds router related. How old is the router? Have you tried to access it from a different computer?
Mark Twain

#8 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

If you have reformatted the computer IE should work. the settings i and refering to are the internet zone settings. You can try but after a re-install of the OS the problem sounds router related. How old is the router? Have you tried to access it from a different computer?

Its at least 4 years old and Yes I have tried accessing from every other computer on the network. I finally managed to solve the issue though, right before reformatting. Thanks for the help.

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

Can you post the solution so we can all reference your cure?
Mark Twain

#10 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

I held the reset button on the back of the router for about 30 seconds with the power plugged in and pulled up IE and it showed the firmware update page then after refreshing it went into the config page. I am still confused on how to install ddwrt though. I tried installing the vxkiller first then the micro like you said and the micro would not install. What am I doing wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users