Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen is black

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bodice1

bodice1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

I put my Dell 1725 into repair shop to have the cracked screen replaced. It was working perfectly fine before the repair man got his hands on it.
He has now informed me that it isnt working at all. Power runs through it ( I have seen the screen flicker from black to dark gray ) however the screen shows nothing and it cannot even be used on a seperate monitor.

As there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it before hand I have some sinking suspicions.

Is it possible that he has taken the more expensive parts i.e motherboard/harddrive and replaced them with cheaper components??

As I know absolutely zero about these things I have to ask, is it possible to tell whether these parts have been replaced, by someone with not a lot of tech knowledge??

I refused to take my laptop out of his shop until I am sure.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

You stated that the laptop was working perfectly fine before the person at the repair shop got his hands on it.

I am not sure why you needed repair in the first place unless you are saying you had a cracked screen on it and that is the reason for the repair.

However you are now saying the laptop is more damaged then it was before it was sent in for repair.

I personally believe the repair shop is responsible for repairing your laptop to a condition to where it works like it should.

I am not sure why this repair person would replace parts for you to question if those parts are the original parts or cheaper ones.

Something tells me that your gut feeling is that this repair shop is shady and can not be trusted. If this is the case, I would call this business up and let them know your going to contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint against them unless they repair the device at a reasonable price and compensate you for any damage or mistakes they made to the laptop.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 May 2010 - 03:51 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Something tells me that your gut feeling is that this repair shop is shady and can not be trusted. If this is the case, I would call this business up and let them know your going to contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint against them unless they repair the device at a reasonable price and compensate you for any damage or mistakes they made to the laptop.

or if that does not work you could threaten to sue them as well. :flowers: :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 bodice1

bodice1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

I did only put it in to get the screen replaced yes.

The reason him not believing him is that it has taken 3 months to get the truth out of him, first it was that he couldnt get the cable which attached the screen to the laptop, then he could get it but was waiting for it to be delivered. Then he held his hands up and said the technology was beyond him! ( it was just a screen replacement).

Finally he said it was working but i had to use it with a monitor, when i made him show me it working on the monitor it wouldnt work.
This is why im suspiscious.

I just dont want to take it from his shop with parts missing so that he can then turn around and say that maybe I had removed them.

Thanks for your advice.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

I personally feel for you to tell you the truth.

If this repair person can't fix a computer, he should NOT be in business doing so. A good repair tech knows how to find answers to any repair problem, that's what we learn from technical schools, myself included as I took such courses myself for computer repair, however I am now retired from the field, but I am still studying the newer technology to keep up to date.

If he is an employee, you should contact his supervisor and complain.

If he is the owner, my advice to you is to NOT let yourself be taken advantage of any further and do what I suggested above.

If I was you, once you finish dealing with this rip-off repair shop, keep on walking out the door and never go back!

Its shops like this that give the good ones a bad name.

I wish you luck and you have my support, don't stand by and let this fool take advantage of you.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users