Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network connection 2 not connected Broadcom 802.11

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 hplap2006

hplap2006

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

I cannot connect to the internet anymore on my hp laptop (it's wireless internet). It stopped working about a year ago, but I have other computers in the house, so I just ignored it for a while, hoping that it will just fix itself (wishful thinking, lol). What's even more strange is that there are 3 other laptops in my house (all running off of a wireless internet router), but they all connect to the internet just fine...when I checked my network connections on this laptop, it shows that everything is connected except my wireless network connection 2. Here's an image to show what I am talking about (click on it for full size):

Attached File  Network_connecto.JPG   30.02KB   22 downloads

Some additional info:

-My laptop is a Microsoft XP [Version 5.1.2600] Home Edition, HP Pavillion dv8000
-My computer has been set to automatically add updates
-I recently updated my iTunes about two months ago (and I can't place my purchased songs on my iPod because I can't connect to the iTunes store (which requires internet connection))
-This is the only laptop that uses a Belkin N1 Wireless Notebook Card
-I got rid of a virus off the computer in December 2008, but it did not affect my internet connection (it still was working at the time)
-It says the wireless signal strength is excellent, however it also says "Wireless Network Connection 2 is not connected" (I've tried repairing it but it wouldn't even do that)
-It also says "Local Area Connection: A network cable is unplugged", but I don't use any cords for this laptop anyway. I use wireless internet for it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by hplap2006, 12 May 2010 - 01:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

Is the blue light that is in the hing of the screen on? I have the same laptop so I should be able to help you greatly. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

If you're talking about that blue light that's right in the middle of the laptop that looks like a blue vertical rectangle (it's right under the hp symbol). Then yes it's already on. And that's great that you have the same computer! :-)

#4 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

Open a command prompt and type the following without the quotes and paste the results back here, "ipconfig /all". We want to see the area where the wireless config is but if possible all of the report.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

Thank you retirednow,

to the op do what was posted. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Thanks guys. Okay, I did the whole command prompt thing and this is what it shows:

Posted Image

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

Your computer's WiFi Card is not getting a gateway. It should be getting the same gateway as your NIC.

#8 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

Your computer's WiFi Card is not getting a gateway. It should be getting the same gateway as your NIC.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not that great with computer components speak, lol. Are you referring to a card that's in the computer or the Belkin card that I have?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not that great with computer components speak, lol. Are you referring to a card that's in the computer or the Belkin card that I have?

The Belkin card. WiFi - Wireless Access.

#10 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

The Belkin card. WiFi - Wireless Access.

Oh, well how come in the Network Connections area it says that the Belking N1 wireless notebook card is connected (the wireless network connection 3)? But if it is the card, does this mean my card is bad? Or do I need to reconfigure/reset it or something?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

Right click on it go to properties then select TCP/IP Settings and add the gateway there.

#12 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

By the way, here's an image of my card:

Posted Image

NOTE: I know it looks like the other blue light isn't on, it is on, it just blinks constantly so when I took the picture it was in the middle of blinking

#13 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Right click on it go to properties then select TCP/IP Settings and add the gateway there.

Okay I right-clicked on the icon for wireless network connection 3 (belkin n1 wireless notebook card) and went to properties, but I don't see TCP/IP settings. Where specifically is that? thanks

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Should be on the first window that pops up.

#15 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Should be on the first window that pops up.

Here's the first window that pops up:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users