Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hot swappable hard drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

I wasn't sure which forum to post this since it has something to do with xp and also vista

I have two hot swappable hard drives, on one I want to put xp and and the other vista

I formatted one with Vista, but when I formatted the other with xp...the vista didn't work. Does anyone know how to do this right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=264088

I found this page which deals with hot-swappable hard drives

I had vista formatted first and then put in the second drive and put xp on.
Then Vista wouldn't boot, so I did a repair on vista, now vista boots but xp doesnt

The article says that vista has a bootloader that overwrites the xp.

now I'm wondering if I repair xp if it would make vista not boot :huh:

I'm not sure I want to spend the time, experiementing

#3 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

I think my problem is that the computer is not built with 2 hard drives....it takes only one at a time

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:07 PM

If you only install one drive...then you have to do the O/S install on each...when the other is not attached.

If you want a dual-boot, you need the capability to have two system partitions. That can be both on the same drive, it can be each on a separate hard drive.

In any case, the recommended procedure for installing for a Windows dual-boot...is always the older O/S is installed first, since the Vista/Win 7 bootloaders make the XP bootloader...useless.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, to be honest.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users