Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Win98

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DAL7910

DAL7910

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:34 PM

I have a Compaq laptop with a 333Mhz processor with Win98, with 200 meg's of RAM. I have added a 160 Gig external hard drive and my plan is to remove Win98 and run Windows XP Pro from the external hard drive.

The laptop is for general use around the home, so while it may be a little slow with XP, it will be find for what I need. I would like to ask what steps I need to take to accomplish this task. I know how to reformat the laptop's hard drives, but I am not sure where to take it from there. I thank all in advance for your assistance with my project....DAL7910...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:04 AM

I wish you the best of luck. Frankly, I have no idea how you're going to convince the BIOS in that old machine that an external hard drive is the primary drive.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:54 AM

Herk I'm not an expert on GRUB, but do you think this will fill his needs?

GRUB Legacy

Edited by acklan, 30 September 2005 - 08:55 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:43 PM

It is my understanding that you can not run XP from an external hard drive.

A 333 machine would be very slow running XP.

Personally, I would stay with what you have. With your computer configuration, you would not be happy with XP. That is, if it can be done.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 04:02 PM

I believe confused user is right. If for no other reason then that you will be plugging in with USB 1.1, which has a very limited bandwith. I moved my kids from ME to W2k. They are on P-III machines. W2k is light on the resources. 512mb RAM was the biggest expense.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:21 AM

I have a Compaq laptop with a 333Mhz processor with Win98, with 200 meg's of RAM. I have added a 160 Gig external hard drive and my plan is to remove Win98 and run Windows XP Pro from the external hard drive.

The laptop is for general use around the home, so while it may be a little slow with XP, it will be find for what I need. I would like to ask what steps I need to take to accomplish this task. I know how to reformat the laptop's hard drives, but I am not sure where to take it from there. I thank all in advance for your assistance with my project....DAL7910...

How big is the internal hdd Dal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users