Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing but black screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bnrr

bnrr

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:11 AM

I have a HP pavilion 9420us that has a serious issue of just showing a black screen. I have reserch all computer forums on the net, but yet to find a one with the same issue that I am experincing with HP. Ok what makes it different is that the black screen that I get when I bootup the unit, is just a black screen (pitch black) with nothing else showing. when turn on the HP logo splash screen does not even appear, not even the cursor... I mean nothing, nothing at all, the only thing that is going on is that all the indicator lights are on (power, HD, DVD function buttons, etc..etc..)but it stays on for only about 10 seconds and then it turns off, this goes on for about every one minute. I did the flash light test on the screen, could not see anthing behind the darkness. battery test, AC cord, hard reset, nothing resolve. turn off the unit waited about five to ten minutes, and then turn it back on. to my supprise it booted up normally without any other problems. check event logs to see if it reported anything out of the ordinary...nothing is found. the problems that I have read on other computer forums is that when they get a black screen there is usually a cursor that could be mover around on the screen, but with my issue, it' s just a total black screen with nothing with it. the only time I could get the unit to work properly or normally is that when I get the black screen, I will shut it down (power button)wait five to ten minutes then turn it back on. it run normally for hours, the problem begins again, when it is restarted.
any help from the bleeping computer community would be greatly appreciated :huh: Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:36 AM

Check at this HP web site to see if your laptop is in the list
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01087277

If it is, you can try the warranty, but they will only patch it long enough to go out of waranty. The gpu overheats and there is a permanent fix but it requires that you "re-flow" the gpu and install a copper shim. HP is not doing that, many if not all, of the dvxxx series laptops with nvidia gpu's have this problem

I have a dv2000 laptop that had this problem and did my own fix for 26 cents and a few hours labor, if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself you can probably locate a pc fix it shop to do it for you, the average repair price for this fix is around $100.

Edited by Joe C, 12 May 2010 - 05:58 AM.

#3 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hello Joe, thanks for your reply to my post. I will check out the link that you have provide in your post. I sincerly hope that my laptop is not listed as one of the affected or the problems due to HP part for bad chips, parts, etc... Thanks :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users