Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webshlock is it a virus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tanjabo

tanjabo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:50 AM

It's been a while that I had any kind of problems. But while I was on google today researching, I hit a link and suddenly got the message that my computer was infected with spyware and it went straight into my system. I canceled the action, and it stopped, but I am still worried, that I might caught a virus. So I went to look in my folders and when I tried to empty the temp folder, there is a file in the avast4 folder which is called webshlock.txt which I am unable to delete. It says it is being used by another person.
I also realised a lot of log files in c:\windows\ like 0.txt or faxsetup.log.
I would say there is about twenty log files all installed today at the same time.

Does anyone know if my computer is infected with a virus? I have already updated avast and malware bytes and none came back with any result as in saying my computer is infected.

If anyone could help me that would be great. I have not restarted the computer yet to avoid any activation of a possible virus.

Thanks for help

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to more appropriate Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2010 - 10:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:06 AM

Hi -
Do you have, or did you have Avast as your antivirus ?? - This is from the Avast forum -

It is an Avast protected file it is related to the Web Shield and that folder is where the web shield unpacks/scans files before they are allowed to go to your browser cache.

Does this help at all ??
Thank You - :thumbsup:

#3 tanjabo

tanjabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:11 AM

I do have avast. So that's what it must be. I just wonder what that message was that came up out of the blue when I hit the link of the website and where do all these log files come from?
I will give it a go and see what happens when I restart the computer and hope it will all be good.

Thank you for your help so far

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:48 AM

Hi -
To be safe just try a scan from Free Malwarebytes or Free SUPERAntiSpyware in case there is any malware / infections also -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

Edited by noknojon, 12 May 2010 - 05:31 AM.

#5 tanjabo

tanjabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:57 AM

I have updated avast and malware bytes and both came back with no result after running them. So it should be fine. I did check on the log files and some changed the time and some are still at today's date and time when it happened. But so far I can't see that my computer is affected in any way after restarting. I assume that I did stop the process of what ever it was on time.

Thank you so much for your help
:thumbsup:

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

If the time/date have altered you may get a 'Runtime error 13'
Please do the following for your version of Windows:
Run-time error '13': Type mismatch problem in Windows XP:
  • Click Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Regional & Language Options
  • Click on Customize...
  • Click on the Time tab
  • In the Time format box, click the drop-down menu and select hh:mm:ss tt
  • In the Time separator box, click the drop-down menu and select :
  • In the AM symbol box, click the drop-down menu and select AM
  • In the PM symbol box, click the drop-down menu and select PM
  • Click Apply then click OK then click Apply then click OK to exit the Regional & Language Options box
Thank You -

#7 tanjabo

tanjabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:34 AM

I didn't have a run time error. But I did another update on malware bytes and suddenly it did come up with infected files under local settings. And they were called APARATUS. I did keep the log file of malware bytes and removed the files with malwarebytes. As so far, even I have restarted the computer twice, I am not aware of any changes so far.
I couldn't also find information on google about aparatus. It doesn't seem to appear as a virus. I will let avast run through my system again as well and hope it won't detect anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users