Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lsass.exe-Application Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brody_94

brody_94

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:32 AM

This message came up this morning:

lsass.exe-Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000005). Click on ok to terminate the application.

I will click ok and just get a blank black screen.

I know this has been covered, but i searched and didn't get any results. Its definately Lsass.exe not isass.exe etc.

It comes up when the computer is booted, after the microsoft windows page but before the desktop loads. I can't get into safe mode the excact same thing happens.

I can't get into it to scan or do anything, and to top it all off the cd drive was un installed so its not usable.

The computer has a seagate HDD, Microsoft windows home with SP3.

What can I do?

Also, is there any chance that this is a virus. I am aware that i could potentially use my external HDD to boot the computer. I just can't afford to let that get a virus.

EDIT: Moved from XP to more appropriate Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2010 - 08:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:26 AM

Hi brody 94 -
There's a strong possibility that this is a virus, unfortunately. The LSASS process manages user logins, and as such is a common target for infections on PCs running various versions of Windows (mostly XP SP2 and 3) -
Sasser virus is one of the most common infections that cause this problem - I can help no further, but it is a common problem after XP SP2 -

Thank You -

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 May 2010 - 07:11 PM.
Edited out non-relevant line. ~ OB

#3 brody_94

brody_94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

I took the HDD out last night and ran it as a secondary drive in my old computer. I then scanned it using my anti virus which came back with almost 1,000 trojans, most coming from the system recovery. I then scanned again to find it clean, so I put it back in to the other computer. It came up with the same message again. Would a sasser removal tool work? I don't want to have to re format but if thats what it comes to. At least I shouldn't lose any impotant files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users