Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP/Update Question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

You can disable SUPER from starting with Windows inside its Preferences or via msconfig.

What do you define as "some stuff"? If it was anything more than tracking cookies, you will need help from the malware team...

One was tracking, and the other was something with the word Trojan in it. I know that's pretty bad. It said I had 71 threats, but according to SuperAntiSpyware, everything is gone now. My comp is lagging a little bit though, and it wasn't doing this before.

And I still can't install SP2

Uhh...I think you need a deeper look from the malware team before we try to get the service packs installed. It's very possible that the malware infection is/was keeping you from updating your service packs.

Anybody else agree?

Edited by keyboardNinja, 15 May 2010 - 02:22 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

Totally concur KeyboardNinja!

You want to make sure you have a clean system before installing SP3
Most issues I have seen with the SP installation are caused by infected systems

I think we should have our crack malware team take a look
We can request that if you would like

Let us know
In the beginning there was the command line.

#18 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

In regards to what service packs must be installed to install others here is the skinny. Service packs are created to include the last service pack and all of the critical updates issued since the last service pack. They do not need to be installed in order and there are no requirements to have any other one installed before installing the latest one. I have regularly installed SP3 on machines that have no other service packs installed with no problems and no errors.

As a side note when Microsoft intends to end their full support for XP expect to see the release of SP4 which will contain all of the updates available at the time of the end of support.

I tend to agree it is weird behavior to have a service pack not install and it could be worth the time to check. However the error you are recieving is a programmers error which more than likely is saying there is a corrupted or missing file. You need to get a windows disk at a minimum to attempt to do the repairs windows is asking you to do. If those don't cure your problem you will probably need to do a full install. Do your self a favor and slipstream SP3 into the windows installation and save yourself a ton of time.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#19 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

"To install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), either Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed."

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389.

Additionally...if the system is an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.), any user/owner of such needs to check the manufacturer's guidance for installing either SP2 or SP3.

Louis

#20 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

Ah you gotta love Microsoft!! !If you read the KB it definitely says what you say. However I never use microsoft update to do service packs since it simply takes to long and service pack installs take long enough. I download the network installation pack(full pack) and install from there. If you read the PDF for that it says SP3 is a comprehensive cumulative update that can be installed over SP1A or SP2. So apparently the update site requires some software installed in SP1A or SP2 but the downloaded file does not. Nothing like consistancy! I know that method works because I have done it dozens of times with no ill effect or problems.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#21 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:02 AM

Nof doubting that we all have experiences which contradict the "stated way" of doing things :thumbsup:.

But when offereing general guidance to users whose systems I really know nothing about...I like to be as generic as possible. In particular with SP2 installs, there is also the added aspect of what the OEMs have learned about their products and installation of updates/SPs.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users