Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Freezing Up

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 bigsal

bigsal

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

After about 20 minutes(almost like clockwork) my laptop just freezes. The cursor freezes but I can still move it, but the webpage(s) just go to Not Responding. I bought and downloaded a registry cleaner(RegGenie) but that hasn't fixed the problem. I'm really at a loss on what to do. Here's the details of my computer/OS

HP dv6700 Notebook

Vista Home Premium(not sure what version or where to find it at?) Says copyright 2006
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @1.83GHz
2038MB of RAM

I usually use wireless internet connection. This has been going on for about 4 or 5 days. Thank you for any help.

EDIT: Moved from Vista to more appropriate Internal Hardware forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2010 - 03:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

Could be overheating, which leaves no error message trail.

Some Thoughts On Preventing Laptop Overheating

Louis

#3 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

I actually just placed my laptop on top of a house fan so I would be 100% sure that it stayed cool and it still freezed up. Does this eliminate the overheating or is there more I should do? I'm really lost here.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Demystifying the Windows Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

As I've said many times, registry cleaners, tune-up programs, and so-called "optimizers" are the current snake-oil of the internet. There are countless free programs like this and apparently some paid ones, as well.

Do not be deceived. They promise performance you can only dream about....but only deliver a computer that is worse off than it was to begin with.

What anti-virus do you use? Is it set to do updates after ## minutes?

Do you have the same problems in Safe Mode?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

Hi, I use Avast Anti-Virus. It's not set to do a search at a certain amount of minutes that I know of. The computer does freeze up in Safe Mode as well.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

Okay, if Safe Mode does the same (rules out software), and it's not overheating...I'm thinking it's a hardware problem. I'll have this moved to the Hardware sub-forum for you. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

S last night before I went to be it was working awesome for 2 or 3 hours. No freezing or issues at all. I powered it down, went to bed and now today it is freezing up again. Any thoughts?

#8 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

I downloaded Speedfan to monitor my laptop temperature and it's hovering about 52C. Is that good/bad?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

I downloaded Speedfan to monitor my laptop temperature and it's hovering about 52C. Is that good/bad?

52C is an acceptable temperature.

Can you do a screen shot of speedfan and post here in your next reply?

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

Besides the 2 Core temperatures, this is all that it shows me:

ERROR collecting CPU Usage : 1 (Unable to read performance data)
Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801HB ICH8 SMBUS at $1C20
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
Scanning Intel SMBus at $1C20...
Found Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz
End of detection

Is there something else I need to do with Speedfan so you have more information?

Edited by bigsal, 13 May 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

hi bigsal, are you running windows sidebar

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3716945

#12 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

I haven't read the link yet, am going to do that right now. But in the mean time, yes Windows Sidebar is running. Honestly couldn't tell you what it does, I just see the symbol for it running in the lower right hand corner of my computer.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

I haven't read the link yet, am going to do that right now. But in the mean time, yes Windows Sidebar is running. Honestly couldn't tell you what it does, I just see the symbol for it running in the lower right hand corner of my computer.

Its usually associated with windows desktop gadets and what-not.

You can use a program like CCleaner and delete that startup entirely from the startup list.

However some people use MSCONFIG to disable it instead.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

I reset the Windows Sidebar settings according to the link provided and changed the setting so it doesn't start up when Windows starts. Computer still is freezing up. Anymore ideas? I appreciate any help.

#15 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

run Chkdsk http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

test memory http://www.memtest.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users