Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-map F Key(s) on Standard 101/102 Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:53 PM

Question, Is there a way to re-map the Function Keys (F7 of F8) to cut-n-paste?

I have a standard issue 101/102 Dell Keyboard.

Using Windows XP Pro SP2.

Why? I do ALOT of ctrl-x and crtl-v's when I'm working with excel spreadsheets... Not just a little, I mean ALOT... By the end of the day my left hand feels like it's been in a pretzel twisting machine.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Temporary re-assign MS Optical mouse w/ tilt wheel to cut & paste. This works ok but like I said, I've got alot of cut-n-paste... this solution takes 3 times longer than my sore hand!

Tried some free-ware program designed for persons with disabilities. This does not work... you can't map a sequence (ctrl-x or ctrl-v) - besides I still need to application switch to other programs...

I looked for a add-on keyboard, like the numberpads for laptops... but they don't have any utilities to re-map or reassign keys...

Any help?

I know the obvious solution is to 'buy' a new keyboard that supports MS intelli-type... But I'm not buying a new keyboard for this office computer, if I do, then they will think it belongs to the company & I'll never get it back...

There HAS to be a way I can do this with my existing keyboard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:47 PM

I think this is what you are looking for (link below). It is free, and says that you can re-map the F keps for a variety of applications, including Office.

Sharpkeys
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:12 PM

In Excel I wrote a macro that copies and changes to Access and then another in Access to paste and find. You can assign the macros to almost any key. But you still have to use Control and Altl keys with the assigned key. At least it would change the hand you use.

If jservices hot keys doesn't work for you I can post the macro.

#4 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:41 AM

Sharpkeys

That looks interesting,i wonder if it would do what I would love to do! (MAP CTRL-ALT-DEL to open task manager which I have in My Briefcase)

I see a ZIPPED version on the page,I dunno what changes this makes..... If it makes registry entries,MAYBE I CAN CREATE MAKE MY OWN KEYS??

Edited by 4dude, 13 November 2013 - 04:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users