Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive Infection/Removable drive disabled: Access denied

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TheresaJDIY

TheresaJDIY

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:40 PM

Hello,

I have an issue, I have not have before. I am running XP pro SP3 with all updates installed. I use AVG free for everyday protection, with a router configured as a firewall, as well as the standard Win firewall. I also use Windows Defender, Windows malicious software removal too, I was using LiveOne Care, but it no longer exists. I also use Malwarebytes free version regularly and RUBotted.

So here is the issue. I was at a work conference and took my flash drive to transfer my presentation to the laptop that is used for the projector in auditorium. Got it back, threw it in my purse and never thought anything more about it. Today I started to transfer another presentation to the flash drive and wala, AVG pops up with "threat detected, move files to virus vault?" The message initially said: Recycler.exe. So of course I click yes to transfer to virus vault. It appears the file is in my virus vault. I then ran AVG on the flash drive and it came up with another virus CNN and sent it to the virus vault as well. I then ran malwarebytes, AVG, Windows Defender, as well as BitDefender online. I tried to use Kapersky as well, but it appears it is being updated and not available. All came up clean.

So, I am thinking the problem is taken care of. So I set up AVG to run on the flashdrive again on and it says "no infection found". But when I try to access the flash drive as usual, it said K:access denied (that is my USB drive). HMMMM now what? So I check the drives from My Computer and the K drive has a file folder picture, instead of the drive picture. When I right click to explore, it says K:access denied. So I went to Windows Explorer to see what files were on the flash drive and it shows my usual files. In checking this I looked at the hidden files and found these entries in gray: Trojan horse Agent2.TRI K: \Recycler\helper.exe and Trojan horse Dropper.Generic.AXHE K:\CNN\A\Lic.exe and autorun inf. So I guess the flashdrive is still infected, but what is up with the K removable drive issue?

My computer seems to run okay, not slow, doesn't redirect to any sites when on the internet either with Firefox or IE 8. I can access the other drives okay. My programs seem to run okay. Task manager works and my CPU is not showing unusually high demands. So what is with the flash drive folder and do you think I am infected or just the flash drive is infected?

Thanks for your consideration and help,
Theresa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users