Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What does 'OP' mean?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

Hi, I've been successfully transferring ancient cassette music tapes from my hifi to my PC, then burning to disk, but for some reason the CD on my hi-fi has decided to stop working; nothing happens when I insert a music CD and press play.
The red letters 'OP' come up on the hifi's LCD display. Any idea what it means?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

what is the make and model of the hifi system?
Open?
Operation error?
Over Power <<< not so much

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

what is the make and model of the hifi system?
Open?
Operation error?
Over Power <<< not so much

It's a Murphy 1500, about 7 years old, I'm beginning to suspect it may simply be wearing out (aren't we all), its never been quite right since I dropped it at the back of the National Marine Aquarium and my Abba CD flew out and nearly hit a guy in a wheelchair

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:22 AM

Just a guess, but what is the loading mechanism on your CD player?

If it's a top-loader, check the interlock mechanism that prevents the player from playing (turning on the laser) while the lid is open. On one of my older players the mechanism was a small "finger" that depressed a switch when the lid was closed. After much use the lid became misaligned and the finger no longer pressed the switch, causing the player to report that the lid was "open" even when it was closed. In my case, I was able to fix the player with a piece of tape to make the "finger" big enough to close the switch again.

Anyway, the error code OP reminded me of "OPen." Good luck.

#5 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

well there you have it..haha
that is why my first guess was open.
but yeah if it was dropped or worn then there should be a way of rigging that button to push.

#6 maribell7

maribell7

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:45 AM

It probably means 'open'. It's trying to indicate that you didn't close it properly.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:58 AM

its never been quite right since I dropped it at the back of the National Marine Aquarium and my Abba CD flew out and nearly hit a guy in a wheelchair

Oh my.....must have been quite embarrassing for sure. :thumbsup:

I think your error is indicating the CD carriage is jammed or off its track.

Its a simple fix if you know someone who is handy with devices like that. There's books at your local library what would help in correcting the problem and getting the tray back in its track.

Just look up CD player repair.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 May 2010 - 01:59 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users