Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nodqq.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

I am infected with Nodqq.exe and I've ran Malwarebytes', Avast!, and Spyware Doctor and they have found (I think) Nodqq.exe and deleted it, but when it restarts it is still on the startup on msconfig. I have already had to change the autorun.inf's on the hard drives to access them once, and since one of them is external I don't want to carry this around with me forever. How do I get rid of it? I am running Windows XP SP3 with an external hard drive and the C: D: drives.

Edited by Monkeymshr21, 11 May 2010 - 08:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

Please post the complete results of your MBAM scan for review.

To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log information, launch MBAM.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
    • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format: mbam-log-date(time).txt
      -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose Copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Logs are saved to the following locations:
-- In XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
-- In Vista: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this. Vista users refer to these instructions.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to Nodqq.exe.
  • If found, right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.
If you're going to keep and use Autoruns, be sure to read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4091

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/12/2010 10:34:39 AM
mbam-log-2010-05-12 (10-34-39).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|L:\|)
Objects scanned: 315090
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 28 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\MADOWN (Worm.Magania) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\nod32 (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL\CheckedValue (Hijack.System.Hidden) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
D:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP236\A0041756.exe (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\Local Settings\Temp\nodqq.exe (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\Local Settings\Temp\nodqq0.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\Local Settings\Temp\nodqq1.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Okay I ran Autoruns and nodqq could not be found, but it is still shown (unchecked) on the startup list on system configuration utility. Whenever I try to show all files and folders on my computer it changes it back, so it seems like it's still there. On the startup list in system config it shows a new item dsoqq. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

Your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log indicates you performed your scan in safe mode.

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. Why? MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Doing a safe mode scan should only be done when a regular mode scan fails or you cannot boot up normally. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally, update the database definitions through the program's interface (preferable method) and try rescanning again in normal mode. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

Please perform a scan with Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner.
-- Requires free Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to be installed before scanning for malware as ActiveX is no longer being used.
-- This scan will not remove any detected file threats but it will show where they are located so they can be cleaned with other tools.
  • Vista users need to right-click the IE or FF Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar icons and Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Read the "Advantages - Requirements and Limitations" then press the Posted Image... button.
  • You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click the Run button. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions.
  • When the downloads have finished, you should see 'Database is updated. Ready to scan'. Click on the Posted Image... button.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked. By default, they should be. If not, please check them and click on the Posted Image... button afterwards:
    • Detect malicious programs of the following categories:
      Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses, Rootkits
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers and other potentially dangerous programs
    • Scan compound files (doesn't apply to the File scan area):
      Archives
      Mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under the Scan section. OK any warnings from your protection programs.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • Once the scan is complete (the 'status' will show complete), click on View Scan Report and any infected objects will be shown.
  • Click on Save Report As... and change the Files of type to Text file (.txt)
  • Name the file KAVScan_ddmmyy (day, month, year) before clicking on the Save button and save it to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste (Ctrl+C) the saved scan results from that file in your next reply.
-- Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

#5 Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

I ran MBAM again (Quick scan) and here are the results:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4091

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/12/2010 5:07:35 PM
mbam-log-2010-05-12 (17-07-35).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 153971
Time elapsed: 11 minute(s), 29 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\MADOWN (Worm.Magania) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL\CheckedValue (Hijack.System.Hidden) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\nodqq.exe (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\nodqq0.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

if you need a full MBAM scan tell me and I can get it to you tonight, but the Kaspersky scan will have to be done overnight since I have things to be done on the computer. Thanks again!

#6 Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

When I try to run the Kaspersky online scanner it says my computer does not meet the requirements.

Under System Information it posts this:

OS type: Windows XP
Browser: Safari 532.5
Java vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java version: 1.6.0_19
OS architecture: x86
Java support by the browser: true

What does this mean?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

Kaspersky works fine with Internet Explorer or Firefox but appears to have issues with Safari so try using one of the supported browsers.

Your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "JDK 6 Update 20 (JDK or JRE)".
  • Click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Under Required Files, check the box for Windows Offline Installation, click the link below it and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u20-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
  • If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • When the Java Setup - Welcome window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.
-- Starting with Java 6u10, the uninstaller incorporated in each new release uses Enhanced Auto update to automatically remove the previous version when updating to a later update release. It will not remove older versions, so they will need to be removed manually.
-- Java is updated frequently. If you want to be automatically notified of future updates, just turn on the Java Automatic Update feature and you will not have to remember to update when Java releases a new version.

#8 Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

Okay, I finally got the scanner done, and here are the results.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7.0: scan report
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 7.0.26.13
Last database update: Thursday, May 13, 2010 16:46:34
Records in database: 4108533
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan e-mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\
G:\
H:\
I:\
J:\
K:\
L:\

Scan statistics:
Objects scanned: 170465
Threats found: 2
Infected objects found: 3
Suspicious objects found: 0
Scan duration: 05:40:52

File name / Threat / Threats count
C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\Local Settings\Temp\dsoqq0.dll Infected: Trojan-GameThief.Win32.Magania.dfvq 1
D:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP233\A0040353.inf Infected: Trojan.Win32.AutoRun.ahg 1
D:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP233\A0040425.inf Infected: Trojan.Win32.AutoRun.ahg 1

Selected area has been scanned.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

Remove the infected file(s) found by Kaspersky in the following location:
C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\Local Settings\Temp\dsoqq0.dll <- this file

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has a built-in FileAssassin feature for removing stubborn malware or other malicious files that it did not detect.
  • Go to the "More Tools" tab and click on the "Run Tool" button
  • Browse to the location of the file(s) to remove using the drop down box next to "Look in:" at the top.
  • When you find the file, click on it to highlight, then select Open.
  • You will be prompted with a message warning: This file will be permanently deleted. Are you sure you want to continue?. Click Yes.
  • If removal did not require a reboot, you will receive a message indicating the file was deleted successfully.
  • Click Ok and exit MBAM.
  • If prompted to reboot, then do so immediately.
-- If the file returns, then you probably have other malware on your system which is protecting or regenerating it.

Caution: Be careful what you delete. FileAssassin is a powerful program, designed to move highly persistent files. Using it incorrectly could lead to serious problems with your operating system.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • Follow these instructions: How to use SUPERAntiSpyware to scan and remove malware from your computer Guide.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

#10 Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

When I try to use FileAssassin it can't find the folder Local Settings. I can get to C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua but the Local Settings folder is not there. I try to change the view type to show all hidden folders and files but it changes back (More than likely due to malware). Should I run SAS?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

Please download OTM by OldTimer and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on OTM.exe to launch the program. (If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator)
  • Copy the file(s)/folder(s) paths listed below - highlight everything in the code box and press CTRL+C or right-click and choose Copy.
:Processes
explorer.exe

:Services

:Reg

:Files
C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\Local Settings\Temp\dsoqq0.dll

:Commands
[emptytemp]
[start explorer]
[reboot]
  • Return to OTM, right-click in the open text box labeled "Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved" (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste.
  • Click the red MoveIt! button.
  • The list will be processed and the results will be displayed in the right-hand pane.
  • Highlight everything in the Results window (under the green bar), press CTRL+C or right-click, choose Copy, right-click again and Paste it in your next reply.
  • Click Exit when done.
  • A log of the results is automatically created and saved to C:\_OTM\MovedFiles \mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log <- the date/time the tool was run.
-- Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot your computer in order to finish the move process. If asked to reboot, choose Yes. After the reboot, open Notepad, click File > Open, in the File Name box type *.log and press the Enter key. Navigate to the C:\_OTM\MovedFiles folder, open the newest .log file and copy/paste the contents in your next reply. If not asked, reboot anyway.

Caution: Be careful of what you copy and paste with this tool. OTM is a powerful program, designed to move highly persistent files and folders and is intended by the developer to be used under the guidance and supervision of a trained malware removal expert.

#12 Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

Okay, I ran OTM once and it didn't display anything, so i ran it again and here are the results.

All processes killed
========== PROCESSES ==========
Process explorer.exe killed successfully!
========== SERVICES/DRIVERS ==========
========== REGISTRY ==========
========== FILES ==========
File/Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\Local Settings\Temp\dsoqq0.dll not found.
========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: Administrator
->Temp folder emptied: 31285 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 32768 bytes

User: All Users

User: Default User
->Temp folder emptied: 31285 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 32768 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 41620 bytes

User: HP_Administrator
->Temp folder emptied: 498105518 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 698522823 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 13736300 bytes
->Google Chrome cache emptied: 6283589 bytes
->Apple Safari cache emptied: 2075881 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 2059177 bytes

User: Joshua
->Temp folder emptied: 156758832 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 28346233 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 128094 bytes
->Google Chrome cache emptied: 20536209 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 131935 bytes

User: Justin
->Temp folder emptied: 21354516 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 18327480 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 72333 bytes

User: LocalService
->Temp folder emptied: 65984 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 34091 bytes

User: NetworkService
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 19569 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 1600017 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\dllcache .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 7947632 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 31285 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 0 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 1,408.00 mb

OTM by OldTimer - Version 3.1.12.0 log created on 05142010_143953

Files moved on Reboot...
C:\WINDOWS\temp\Perflib_Perfdata_f40.dat moved successfully.

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

It says File/Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\Local Settings\Temp\dsoqq0.dll not found, but it may have been because I ran it once already.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

Repeat the Kaspersky scan to ensure its gone and see if it detects anything further.

Also let me know how your computer is running.

#14 Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:19 PM

Just an update, I was changing the shortcut to a game on a program, Steam, and I noticed that it showed hidden files and folders in the folder navigator. I navigated over to the C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua\Local Settings\Temp folder, and lo and behold, dsoqq.dll was there. This was after I ran OTM. So we know that dsoqq.dll is still there. I haven't ran into any problems using the computer, it's been relatively the same since I've gotten this malware. I'll run the Kaspersky scan tonight. EDIT: I found this site http://hotzone-it.blogspot.com/2010/04/how...e-nodqqexe.html would this work? I'm not sure if I can trust it, but if it does, the easier the better.

Edited by Monkeymshr21, 14 May 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:32 AM

I am not familiar with that site so I can't recommend it.

Some infections are difficult to remove completely because of their morphing characteristics which allows the malware to regenerate itself. Sometimes there is hidden piece of malware (i.e. rootkit) which has not been detected by your security tools that protects malicious files and registry keys so they cannot be permanently deleted. Other types of malware can even terminate your security tools by changing the permissions on targeted programs so that they cannot run or complete scans. Disinfection will probably require the use of more powerful tools than we recommend in this forum. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS log for further investigation.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the Malware Response Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the Malware Response Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users