Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clone Laptop and Desktpo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 natedawg1013

natedawg1013

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Currently, I have an Eee pc and a gaming laptop. They both sync with an always-on NAS for pictures, music, and documents. The Eee has great battery life, but cannot play games. The gaming laptop is high-end, but the battery life isn't great playing games. Plus the constant charging/discharging is killing the battery. It reports < 75% of its battery capacity remaining. I will get a new battery in the future, but I don't want to kill that one. That's why eventually, I will be getting or building a gaming computer.

It will be set up so that both computers will have the same OS probably Win7, the same processor architecture, and the same monitor resolution.

I would like to be able to have the computers clones of each other. I am willing to put a lot of work into it, but I'd need to know where to start. Should I sync everything, including windows and the registry with both computers' drivers, exclude the drivers, etc. I would like to have the same exact desktop, etc. along with hopefully all installed programs being synced. Ex:I install a game to my laptop, it syncs to the NAS, and the desktop syncs the game to my computer preferably without re-running the installer.

I know programs install some files to windows, and create keys in the registry. Maybe have something that monitors these, and something that imports them on the computer that doesn't have them. I am open to discussion. Thanks so much!

-Nate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

not sure what your objective is ? when the laptop battery dies you want to run over to the desktop and continue the game ?
i am pretty sure you would have to do the install on both machines. you could store an image of the dvd/cd disk(game) on the nas and access it from a virtual drive on each machine but something tells me this is not what you are after. what' s the big deal about the second install ?

Edited by caperdog, 11 May 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:26 PM

:huh: to Bleeping Computer, natedawg1013. :huh:

Okay, I see what you're trying to do here, and I can tell you that it won't work the way you think you want it to. You cannot "sync" the registry between computers....that is not only impossible, as far as I know...it's a bad idea. You can't even do a backup (system image) on one and restore to the other to make them identical. Different hardware = different drivers. It won't work...

If you want identical computers, you'll have to install the software you want on each one. It only takes an extra few minutes.

I know some IT guys can do a network install on all the computers they have control over...but that would be quite an task just for 2 computers. Your best bet is to just keep track of what you put on one, and then put it on the other. :thumbup2:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 natedawg1013

natedawg1013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

It's not just games, though. I use their power for programming, video editing, etc. I would like to, for example, be working on the desktop, possibly install a program on it, then sync to the laptop and be able to reopen what I was working on as if I was still working on the desktop and just had to restart.

*edit: And yeah, I knew that the registry and drivers would be the biggest problems. One of the biggest problems is that I don't always remember what I install, and it's a real annoyance to have to install or uninstall everything twice.

Edited by natedawg1013, 12 May 2010 - 03:38 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

Why not simply home network, installing key apps on both systems?

That's what I do for my video-editing, music-editing, and other key ventures on my systems.

Doing this also assures continued continuity...if a problem with one system arises or it becomes busy executing other tasks.

The network facilitates easy movement of any data files, at any time....and simple copying/duplication of same.

Louis

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

What kind of games are you talking about?

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

puzzles .. hmm ... i will proceed with this line of thinking only because you say you are willing to put a lot of work into it.

if you installed your programs to the NAS, mapped the Nas on each machine so that they had the same drive letter and ran a program that would log the install (an uninstaller maybe, programs using windows installer can be logged if run from a command line and adding a switch).

ok, the meat of the program is on the NAS, the potatoes are on the machine you installed from, the log should tell you what directories were created and what files were copied to your C: drive. these would have to be copied to the other machine and put in the exact location as first machine.

registry entries from log could be copied and pasted in notebook and saved as whatever.reg and run on the second machine to add registry entries there.
i would still expect errors such as tada.dll not found so you would have to add its location to the path or put it in the path say c:\windows.

i still don't understand why you want to do this and please someone pick this apart.

#8 natedawg1013

natedawg1013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

Sorry for all the delayed responses. Busy life. One of the biggest things is that computers get messed up, and say if one goes in for repairs, I could use the other in the interum. Also, I want to be able to do the same tasks on one as the other. And because one is a laptop, it won't be on the network at all times, so I can't install to the nas. I guess by the looks of it, the best I can do right now is sync the impotant documents and the desktop. It would be revolutionary if someone came up with a program that monitors one computer, and will automate installers by the user's input on the first one AND copy all new files, etc. over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users