Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk read error--Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:36 PM

I had spoke with Raw last night in chat, so I thought I would post here so I can be more detailed.

I have (had) a HP Pavillon computer that the motherboard and/or the PSU went bad. I did not test it myself, but this is what I was told based on the errors I was getting. I was talked into the purchase of a new case, but reusing some of my old parts: hard drive, DVD drive, RAM, and PCI video card.

We went to Frys and I picked out the new case, PSU, 128 MB AGP video card, motherboard and CPU. My friend came with me to assure that all the parts would be compatible. We had their techs check everything out, and it was ok.

He put everything together and started loading up Windows XP Pro. It will go through all the partitioning and formatting that it needs to, and when the computer says it needs to restart, we let it automatically. When the computer comes back up, it says (after boot from cd): "a disk read error occurred press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". When I press these, the error comes back.

Windows does not complete this step, and I do not see ANY Windows screen at all-everything I see is in text (DOS?) format.

We have tried everything, including: Pressing R for the Recovery Console and typing in chkdsk /r (it finds and fixes errors everytime); fixmbr (it also finds and fixes errors); and fixboot (no errors found). Going into BIOS and looking for something related to ACPI-no luck. Pressing F5 during the initial loading (Windows install loading only) to force HAL to manually allow Windows to manipulate hardware-no luck. Pressing F7 during the initial loading to load up the standard HAL files for hardware-get a stop error 0x0000007b (this error says an incorrect HAL was used for setup). All of the things I have tried are related to the hard drive NOT using the MBR (Master Boot Record) to allow Windows to continue loading after the restart. I even tried to format the drive using FAT32 instead of NTFS. For some reason, FAT32 is not an option in Pro, but the end result is the same-no luck at all.

I was thinking: I need to eliminate possibilities. Although I probably didnt need to, I purchased a full version of XP Home. I tried to install this one and I get the same errors. Due to the possibility that this could be hardware related, I purchased a new hard drive last night. I still get the same exact errors.

At this point, I am willing to try just about anything. My friend is stumped and the only thing I can find related to this (I have another computer that does work), is that XP corrupts the Master Boot Record sometimes and reformatting and restarting may be needed. At last count, I have restarted over 30 times and more then half of them, I reformatted the computer.

Like I mentioned before, I have another computer that works. I also have an external hard drive box. With this, I can put the hd in this box and my working computer can read it. After the hd has been formatted, I placed it in this box so I can see what is on it and there is a Windows folder about 700 MB in space. It is not possible for me to install XP on an external box though-there is no option for it.

I have talked to Microsoft 3 different times, including tonight. They walk me through the exact same steps, and then tell me it is not a software issue, it is a hardware issue. The reason why I called back 3 times is because it was after I purchased new pieces. They are under the impression that it is a hard drive controller issue or a bad motherboard. They got pretty quiet when I told them about the sites about an XP install corrurpted the MBR. They did offer to me a 1-800 number to return the software.

I have ran out of ideas and suggestions. At this point, if someone tells me to swing a yellow crayon over the tower while singing any Beatles song, on one foot facing North, I will try it.

I am frustrated and irritated and I refuse to spend anymore money on this computer. If I can not get it working tonight, I will return to Frys sometime tomorrow. I really doubt they would walk me through the entire process, but maybe I am not the only person this has happened to. I also understand that they are there to make money on the installations, but maybe it is possible they would allow me to show them the error and point me in the right direction. I suppose it is just as likely as me getting hit with lightning when I am indoors.

I have no idea where to go from here or what to look for. Ask me some questions and I will do my best to answer them. Please keep one thing in mind: I do not have a working XP yet, so I can not get online with it nor can I do alot of things I normally could do. If the exact model numbers of the hardware would be helpful, just ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

If the exact model numbers of the hardware would be helpful, just ask.

Don't know if this will help or not but you can check your hardware against the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility list.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 confused_user

confused_user
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

I have checked all of my parts, and they are on there. Thank you for the idea though.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:50 PM

It sounds like a frusterating experience.

What were the original symptoms you were having that started this entire drama? They might shed some light on it.

Based on what I have read, I would try a different hard drive and see if you can get past this point of the installation. It wouldn't have to be a new one, just ANY hard drive that is different than the one you are using. See if that makes a difference. Surely you or someone you know has an old computer laying around somewhere and you can borrow their old crusty hard drive? At least the hard drive would be the next thing I would eliminate.

Again, I am wondering what the original problem was.

Oh, and remember (omg, I am sounding old now!) when it comes to computer repair, persistance is the answer. It will get fixed if you are persistant!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 confused_user

confused_user
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

What were the original symptoms you were having that started this entire drama? They might shed some light on it.

The symptoms I was having with the old computer were sporatic, but they became worse over time. I use the term old very loosely, as it is a 2.2Ghz computer. At first, the it would get really slow-I could actually see individual frames from Windows loading up a program (I double click an icon to open it, and it would take nearly 2-3 minutes just to get the program start up screen), and almost reminded me of seeing an oldtyme movie running about 1/5th speed. If I kept the computer on for more then 2 hours, it would be unresponsive even to the three finger solute. One time I forgot to turn it off, and I smelled like something was burning, but there was no marks on the inside or outside. Needless to say, I turned it off and did not turn it back on. My friend suggested to reuse as many parts as possible to save my data and money.

Based on what I have read, I would try a different hard drive and see if you can get past this point of the installation...At least the hard drive would be the next thing I would eliminate.

I already purchased a new hard drive, and it still doesnt work. I am really the only one around that has any computer equipment, and I do not want to chance putting my (only) working hd in the (new) computer and it get messed up. It is very possible that if I did, Windows would try to install the (new) configuration on it, and may be difficult to put back in my (working) computer.

...when it comes to computer repair, persistance is the answer. It will get fixed if you are persistant!

I agree, but there has to be a time that you not put any more money or time into something. Especially since I am now in day 10 of this installation and my friend said (and I have seen it) he can have a computer built and running XP in under 4 hours. If I was the only one invovled, I would try everyday until it gets done, even if it takes next year. If I would have put the amount of money I have already spent into a name brand computer, not only would I already have it running, but I would not have my wife constantly asking me if it is finished or not. She is a newbie, but I do not want to deny her the experience of computers nor would I want to confuse her on why it is not finished.

Thank you very much for your input.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:08 PM

Ok, I told you in chat I would sleep on this. And I have gotten out of bed to write this reply.

You said:

It will go through all the partitioning and formatting that it needs to, and when the computer says it needs to restart, we let it automatically. When the computer comes back up, it says (after boot from cd): "a disk read error occurred press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

I am most interested in this part:

When the computer comes back up, it says (after boot from cd)

Ok, I am a little confused by this statement. I need to know exactly what that means. To start loading windows you boot from the cd. The computer copies files from the cd, and then reboots on it's own. Then it should boot from the hard drive, not the cd.

Does this make sense? I could be all wet as I am very tired. Let me know what you think.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 confused_user

confused_user
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:17 PM

Ok, I am a little confused by this statement. I need to know exactly what that means. To start loading windows you boot from the cd. The computer copies files from the cd, and then reboots on it's own. Then it should boot from the hard drive, not the cd.

You are correct: it is suppose to do that. Allow me to clearify how it looks on the screen.

Press any key to boot from CD.....

a disk read error occurred
press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Im sorry for the confusion. I was mentioned earlier (after boot from cd) just so it was known that was still on the screen. There was a couple of times I pressed it, knowing Im suppose to load from hd

#8 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:35 PM

This sounds like a RAM issue. At the point you are getting to the files have not even begin to load onto the the HDD they are trying to load into the RAM and that is what makes me think that is the problem.

What Make & Model of MB?
What speed of RAM?
If you have more then 1 stick try pulling a stick and loading OS. If that don't work try the other stick. I would like to know what MB & RAM you purchased.

#9 confused_user

confused_user
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:22 PM

This sounds like a RAM issue. At the point you are getting to the files have not even begin to load onto the the HDD they are trying to load into the RAM and that is what makes me think that is the problem.

It is quite possible. Especially since it is the only thing in the computer that is old. Although the PCI video card is from the other computer, I have the monitor plugged into the AGP one.

What Make & Model of MB?

The motherboard is a ABIT NF8-V w/ socket 754 that can support Athlon 64 and Sempron Processors. The chipset is NF3 250 GB. The features are (as quoted from the box): NV GbE, NV Firewall, SATA NV RAID, 6-CH, USB

What speed of RAM?

I will name the RAM sticks as RAM (0) and RAM (1) to let the next question to be easier.

RAM (0) is 256 MB, DDR PC2700 CL2.5. Name brand is Samsung. Also on the label is PC2700-25331-Z M368L3223ETN-CB3

RAM (1) is 256 MB, DDR DIMM, N. Unknown name brand, unknown speed. Also on the label is 32 WND STK 5353775

If you have more then 1 stick try pulling a stick and loading OS. If that don't work try the other stick.

I will start the computer with every possible combination of RAM. Knowing I must fill the slot 0, I will have 4 different ways: RAM(0) slot (0), RAM(1) Slot (0), RAM (0) slot (0) RAM (1) slot (1), and RAM(1) slot (0) RAM (0) slot (1). When I complete the steps, I will post back.

I would like to know what MB & RAM you purchased.

I posted the model of the motherboard. Do you need additional information? I did not purchase any RAM-I am using the RAM from my older computer.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:59 PM

When installing XP, it sometimes does not make that automatic reboot from the hard drive. In those cases, it goes right back to the scenario where it is initially going to setup files, partition the drive, etc.

The BIOS is set up to tell it to boot from CD.

What I do is remove the XP CD when it is time for it to reboot from the hard drive. I then insert it again when the install procedure asks for it.

You might try it and see what happens.

If you scroll the Web, you will see that there is a lot of verbiage about this particular error message...but not much definitive statement.

Good luck.

Louis

#11 confused_user

confused_user
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:50 PM

If you have more then 1 stick try pulling a stick and loading OS. If that don't work try the other stick.

I removed all the RAM as I stated in the other message, and I get the same error. For every restart, I go through the process of reformat.

The BIOS is set up to tell it to boot from CD.
What I do is remove the XP CD when it is time for it to reboot from the hard drive. I then insert it again when the install procedure asks for it.

I have tried that method and I get the same error message.

If you scroll the Web, you will see that there is a lot of verbiage about this particular error message...but not much definitive statement.

You are right there is quite a bit reguarding this. One thing that caught my eye was something about Microsoft corrupting the MBR. Im not sure how to repair that though.

One thing I am having a hard time pinpointing, is where the actual problem is. What hardware is not working? It can not be the hard drive because I have a new one. The RAM has already been checked. The motherboard, CPU, and PSU have all been checked by Frys. I had to get someone else to check my PCI and AGP video cards by putting them in another computer-they both are ok. I even had someone check the voltage of the fans-still nothing wrong. Is this a hardware or software problem?

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:04 PM

This is a shot in the dark , but may be it will spark a memory in some of you old salts. I have read several Ebay ads (I know. No flaming please) that claimed to "Unlock propritery EIDE drives". I have personally never come across such a drive, but I thought since we are grasping at straws.... Everyone knows how HP likes to put propritery stuff on their computers. I'll do a google and report back if I find something.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:01 PM

The motherboard is a ABIT NF8-V w/ socket 754 that can support Athlon 64 and Sempron Processors. The chipset is NF3 250 GB. The features are (as quoted from the box): NV GbE, NV Firewall, SATA NV RAID, 6-CH, USB

This MB calls for DDR400 PC 3200 RAM

Also on the label is PC2700-25331-Z M368L3223ETN-CB3

RAM (1) is 256 MB, DDR DIMM, N. Unknown name brand, unknown speed. Also on the label is 32 WND STK 5353775

Your error is probably not generated from the OS install but more then likely caused from the unmatched RAM on this MB. I will suggest purchasing matched RAM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....Submit=Property

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....Submit=Property

Edited by River_Rat, 30 September 2005 - 11:03 PM.

#14 confused_user

confused_user
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

Unlock propritery EIDE drives

I also found that, but do not know how to do it either. Thank you for the find.

This MB calls for DDR400 PC 3200 RAM

Your error is probably not generated from the OS install but more then likely caused from the unmatched RAM on this MB. I will suggest purchasing matched RAM.

That is true that my RAM is not the correct speed for the motherboard, and I also agree that it is not from the OS. I will consider purchasing matched RAM, but I am still concerned about putting anymore money into this. When I was thinking that RAM could have been the culprit, I took the RAM out of my (working)computer which is DDR400 512 RAM and I got the same error message as before.

Edited by confused_user, 01 October 2005 - 11:14 AM.

#15 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:59 PM

Put the DDR400 Ram in then reset the CMOS on the MB, the manual will tell you how to do this, then enter the BIOS and set the Date & Time and the Defaults and see if it will install.

Without rereading the thread:
Did you say this is a new MB?
Is the OS Disk scratched?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users