Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 server accessible by 2 office locations?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nymrulez

nymrulez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

A client of mine has asked me to do something that I believe some of you may know better then I do. He has two servers located in two different cities, each of which stores the files for the office in that city. But the two servers do not talk to one another. What he wants to do is instead have only one server, and have all the users in both office locations connect via that 1 server. Is such a thing possible? He only wants basic file sharing for relatively small documents. Each office only has about 5-7 computers. The server currently running in the main office runs Windows Server 2003.

I'm drawing up an estimate for him, but I figured I'd ask before I get in over my head. I can only think of setting up a VPN. But then my concern is that the secondary office will then be too dependent on its Internet connection for basic tasks, such as logon, and might become frustrated. Any ideas on methods to do this? What do large companies do when they have to set something like this up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:30 AM

They use VPN and people get used to it. Its a little slower but works just fine. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users