Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paste is Greyed Out (Copy works, Drag'n'Drop works)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LAATech

LAATech

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

Have a WinXP Pro machine that the Paste function ceased to work on. Copy is still a valid option and drag and drop works for files. This is happening for both files in folders and from one text file to another. The computer is on an isolated network for TV production on our campus and does not have external access (even isolated thumbdrives).
I have removed the clipboard component and reinstalled it from an XP Pro (SP3) CD and it is still doing the same thing. If you try to run "clipbrd.exe" it will begin to launch but then does not respond. It is possible that we will have to reinstall XP on this machine, but I wanted to see if anyone had some good ideas on this first. We are using video production software on this machine and it is going to be a royal PITA to rebuild. I can get logs, but it takes some doing, so please be specific on what will be helpful in diagnosing this issue.
Thanks,

Jon

Edited by LAATech, 11 May 2010 - 03:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

does this apply to you?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;555173

also you could do a sfc /scannow
from the command prompt or run utility.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

FWIW: How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#4 LAATech

LAATech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

I'll try the /SCANNOW option and see. I'm not sure what will happen though since it will not be able to contact the Windows Update servers. To pull it offline, we will have to build a tertiary system to take it's place while we do the update. May take me a bit to try these out. I'll let you know how it goes.

#5 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

sfc /scannow
this utility uses the original cd not windows update.
you may need to run windows update after you run the utility as it may want you to replace files that were patched with windows update.
please do read Louis's link

#6 LAATech

LAATech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

Right, that's what I'm reading through now. He just stated at one point that after it finishes it will try to hit the update servers. Most likely I'll be printing it out and then going into the production room to try it in an off-time.
Thanks,

Jon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users