Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't figure this out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElementDO

ElementDO

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

I still can't figure this mini PCIe slot out at all. I read a review on this computer and it said you could pop a wireless mini PCIe card in the slot on the MOBO without a problem. They made it sound easy huh? Well I did, but the card doesn't sit flush because there is screws behind it but they don't line up with the mini PCIe card. I can't find a mini PCIe card that HP makes for this computer. I did have one lying around and tried to use it. Windows does recognize the card but it is not working. I'm thinking it's because the antenna wires aren't hooked up. I also think that the 2 thumb screws (at least that's what they look like) come out and screw into the mini PCIe card. The thumb screws don't line up with the antenna input on the card though. I am not sure if these are screws or what. I don't want to go trying to unscrew them and screw something up on the MOBO though. Anyways, here's the pictures so you all can get an idea of what I am talking about.

WITHOUT MINI PCIe CARD IN
Posted Image

WITH MINI PCIe CARD IN
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

the screws holes in the top picture are mounts that the card will be screwed to.
it almost looks like one set of holes line up on the card you are inerting and the others may be under the sticker.
it is kinda a bad angle but you may be able to take out the inner mounting screws to make this card work.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

That is a cute little extra for the motherboard. :thumbsup:

I have an ASUS P4B800E-Deluxe motherboard that came with a special slot for a Wi-Fi card. But they were so expensive and too proprietary to make it worthwhile to use. :huh:

IMHO, I would forget about the special card and just get a regular wireless card. :huh:

I hope this helps.

DR

#4 ElementDO

ElementDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

Thanks guys for the replies.

Meuchel- So you're saying those are actually like thumb screws? I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask someone first before I went messing with them. I took that sticker off and didn't see a hole there for the other mount. I'm guessing HP makes a special card for this MOBO.

Rigacci- What else could this slot be used for other then a wireless card? I don't see anything else out there. That card I have retails for $15. But then again the mounting points aren't correct lol. So like I said, I think they make a special one for this desktop. I already have a regular wireless card installed on a PCI slot in the computer. Just wanted to put my Mini PCIe to use, and maybe throw the PCI Linksys one up on FleaBay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users