Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer no longer recognizes my password

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ed Grady

Ed Grady

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

While running a full Norton security scan on my HP Pavilon Entertainment PC - Windows Vista - I was also on the net and a flashing shield icon popped up on the lower toolbar . I opened it - it advised of security issues - Norton seemed to be running ok - Icon was persistent I chose to see how much the extra security would cost then realized it was a sham, and tried to shut down - Norton gave me a problem but I shut down anyway. When I rebooted, my connection to the internet was lost. A day or two later I rebooted, everything worked except my ability to connect to the internet in the office (hardline). Three offices have hardline acess to the net but not to each other.

The message displayed was "re.redirect.hp.com" is not set up to establish a connection on port "World Wide Web service (HTTP)" with this computer". I am relatively new to computers and Windows Help suggested to change the proxy settings in Internet Explorer. Contacted office personal and advised of virus attack and requested the address of the proxy server and the port number. I think we all overreacted and they proceeded to take steps and isolate my port.

I then discovered that Norton had caught and quarantined 2 viruses and no further action was necessary:
"vucxpfmtssd.exe (Trojan.FakeAV)" and "9.871089011753564e8.exe. (Spyware Guard 2008). However,
the computer now refuses to acknowledge my password with the message "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password". The office help created a temporary user account on my computer which allows access to my mail and the net but I cannot gain access to any of my files. I can't seem to download any helpful programs as they bypass the tempory account, go to my normal user account which then requires my password that is then not recognized. I also can't seem to utilize repair help that is on the system. I do have recovery discs however do not want to lose my files. Can you please help me retrieve and save my data prior to a total scrub, or is there a way to gain acess and reactivate my old password?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 May 2010 - 06:19 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users