Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless connection no internet access?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sly_2314

sly_2314

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Hi, I have an hp laptop(g60 series) running windows 7 and I have major problems with my internet connection. It started two weeks ago, and I called my internet service provider which directed me to the HP line, but they didn't help at all. Finally my sister played around with the plugs(the wireless/router) and it worked for a day. But it doesn't work anymore..? I don't know what the problem is. I turned off the router/wireless box and waited then switched it back on, I also plug things and out. And I tried plugging the cord into my laptop but I can't get the internet there either...?

When I called HP they said I probably have a virus, and something was wrong with my IP address. But I ran scans and my computer is running normally. I also have norton anti virus. I know i'm rambling, but I really need help. I already called/turned it off and on...everything that's suppose to help it. Should I take it into geeksquad? Idk, what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

Can you give us some information on your router please?

Make and model number would be very helpful.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

turn off the computer
unplug the power to the isp mode and router
check all the lan cables and make sure they are tight
plug in the isp modem and wait 2 minutes.
plug in the router and wait 2 minutes
boot up your computer and try again.

#4 sly_2314

sly_2314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hi and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

Can you give us some information on your router please?

Make and model number would be very helpful.

Thanks, and okay..

The router is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G2.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

Ok does any of the status lights light up on the router?

Does it show any signs that it has established a connection to the modem?

The modems Internet light should also be flashing.

The status light on the router should be flashing showing it has established a connection to the modem.

Are you seeing any of these signs?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 rmahn

rmahn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Okay, maybe this can help. I have a Linksys WGR614v5 router and have been having problems as well. My symptoms are that when the computer hibernates/powers down without manually shutting down the wireless network connection first, the computer won't connect to the internet when it comes back up. It's possible you have something similar--especially with the same OS and similar router.
I haven't got a solution yet, and, like you, I juggled around a number of settings trying to get it going. However, I do have a workaround:

1. try to remember to manually shutdown the network before shutting down the computer.
2. if 1 hasn't been done, then after starting up the computer, power-cycle the router. Then connect to it from the computer.

This has been working for me, although I'm still trying different settings and trying to get an updated driver installed to maybe fix the problem.

So for you I'd try this:
1. Reboot your computer. Then make sure you have your wireless connection disconnected.
2. Power-cycle your router. Then try to connect your computer's wireless connection. What you are looking for here is to get a connection to the router--not necessarily the internet.
3. Try to connect to the router. I believe the default address is 192.168.1.1. If you've gotten this far you're doing well.
4. Configure your router for internet access. There is probably a "wizard" to help you with this.
5. Once you've got internet access, look at updates for Windows 7 and possible firmware updates to your router.

.... and you thought you were rambling....

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Okay, maybe this can help. I have a Linksys WGR614v5 router and have been having problems as well. My symptoms are that when the computer hibernates/powers down without manually shutting

Linksys does not use the letters WGR, your router is a NetGear brand name router.

#8 rmahn

rmahn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

You're right--it's a Netgear. It's my other router that's a Linksys. But guess what--ever since I entered that response above the problem has gone away.

#9 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

Are you using just norton anti-virus or do you have the norton internet security suite including the firewall?

If you do check to see that your wireless network is in trusted networks and under program control that your wireless software access is set to allowed.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:19 AM

You're right--it's a Netgear. It's my other router that's a Linksys. But guess what--ever since I entered that response above the problem has gone away.

Well I am happy to hear that everything seems to be back to normal again! :huh:

But if you continue to have problems again, we're always here to come to for answers. :huh:

Enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users