Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with MS Word copy/cut-paste; altered email addresses

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 4bard

4bard

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hi,

I was working with aommaster at the 'Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Malware Removal Logs' forum (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic313605-15.html#entry1751750), but he's referred me here because he suspects my problem is Windows-related. Basically my laptop is running slowly, but even worse, it seems to have 'caught' something which alters email addresses from messages left at my blog site and also changes them when I reply through Google mail. In addition, I am unable to cut-and-paste URLs from my blog to Facebook - they inevitably lead to 'Page not found' results when the pasted links are followed... The software I use for my blog/website is WordPress, and it seems like this started after I responded to a questionable link from a blog comment (forgive me - I was brand new to the blogging scene then), and all this grief began.

aommaster wrote this:

I see. If you haven't been able to use system restore, then I'm not too sure as to what to try next. This problem does not appear to be malware related. I suggest you post here, where people a lot more knowledgable than I am would be able to give you the assistance you need.

Also, in that thread, please ensure that you mention:
1.MBAM not working
2.System Restore not working
3.SFC /scannow wanting to perform a repair of the windows OS, but you do not have the windows disk

Also, one more house-keeping task needs to be done - the uninstallation of combofix. Now, the reason I am hesitant to do it is because when uninstalled, Combofix will clear your restore points, and I'm not too sure if you'll be needing your older restore points.

So, I think the best way is to tell you how to get it uninstalled, and once your problem has been resolved, you can uninstall it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, MBAM is now working, but not System Restore.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. I'm a 'returning customer' (sadly), and understand how busy you guys are. I'll do my best to respond promptly and provide you with whatever info you need.

thanks,

4bard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

Dell Inspiron E1705 appears to be a laptop, originally loaded with Vista.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...12184308AAiJglo.

What O/S is currently installed?

Louis

#3 4bard

4bard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

Hi Louis,

It came loaded with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 from Dell when I bought it in Feb. 06.

Thanks for the quick reply.

4bard

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

As I see it...your choices are

a. You can try to obtain restore/recovery disks from Dell.

b. You can try the restore/recovery mechanism alluded to in the link I previously provided.

Restore, Reinstall Windows On Dell Computer - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

I suppose that you could buy/borrow the appropriate MCE 2005 disc and try a repair...not sure how effective that would be.

<<So, I think the best way is to tell you how to get it uninstalled, and once your problem has been resolved, you can uninstall it.>>

Just a clarification, please...ComboFix was uninstalled?

Louis

#5 4bard

4bard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks again for responding.

<<Just a clarification, please...ComboFix was uninstalled?>>

No - ComboFix hasn't been uninstalled yet. I was hoping there might be another scan or other diagnostic tool that might identify specifically what's wrong with my laptop. I've never seen Windows change email addresses before, nor have I had so much trouble with cutting and pasting URLs, so I thought it might've been something more devious...

Should I go ahead and uninstall ComboFix? I haven't had much luck trying System Restore, anyway. (But I don't want to get ahead of myself.)

Again, thanks for your suggestions. I'll wait to hear from you about ComboFix before I go any further.

4bard

#6 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

Hi Hamluis

If I may add, I did not have combofix uninstalled because it would clear the system restore points, and I wasn't sure whether they could be made to work again.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

OK...I understand that...but the problem I have...is that I don't know how ComboFix works or affects the XP O/S. I have the feeling that it may (I don't know) somehow be indirectly responsible for seemingly apparent O/S problems.

The restore points are a non-issue, in my view. To win sometimes, you have to be prepared to lose small battles and system restore points seem like a small price to pay for a system that responds as it should.

As I see it...since you don't seem to have any malware issues...your O/S is trashed and you need to do a clean install.

I may be oversimplifying, but the symptoms you have portrayed...lead me in that direction.

Louis

If all your known problems...relate to use of the Internet...then I suppose that you could try reinstalling/replacing IE...but cut-and-paste operations are fundamental in Windows.

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2010 - 08:50 AM.

#8 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

Hi!

4bard was having the cut and paste issue before the running of combofix. However, if you'd like to have them uninstall it, I can post the instructions for them to do it if you'd like :thumbsup:

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Thanks, but not necessary (IMO) if it was a pre-existing problem :thumbsup:. I appreciate your feedback on this :flowers:.

I stand with the suggestion that the O/S is hosed and a clean install is probably the most direct, timesaving route to get near a successful conclusion.

As long as we know that the current O/S issues are not caused by malware...that leaves the O/S and hardware as possible suspects.

A clean install gives us a chance to definitively eliminate the O/S...if problems continue after such, then it's some type of hardware issue that will need further investigation.

Louis

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:01 AM

I think before doing a clean install I might try to do a repair installation of the OS. That should clear up any corrupted or missing system files with out the need for the clean install.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

I agree...a repair install is always a last-ditch attempt before a clean install, in my world.

But...many of today's users don't have the capability for doing such, while having the ability to restore/recover to factory settings. Not sure that Dell systems provide such option, since I did not see such mentioned on their list of possibilities.

Users with copies of MS Genuine XP CDs...have both options.

Louis

#12 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

I think before doing a clean install I might try to do a repair installation of the OS. That should clear up any corrupted or missing system files with out the need for the clean install.

I tried doing this but it appears that 4bard does not have a recovery CD or a windows XP CD. So, my guess is that a partition exists on their PC, however, I googled a little bit and it appears that a fresh rebuild was the only option for this model of computer (you guys can recheck this if you like).

Hence, I did not uninstall combofix, just in case someone might now a way of salvaging this :thumbsup:

Hamluis: Totally agreed!

unite_blue.png

#13 4bard

4bard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

Louis and aommaster~

I'm fascinated by your back-and-forth about my errant laptop. It's like a window on another world (no pun intended).

Basically, I've got one question: Where do I go from here? Uninstall ComboFix? Or am I 'salvageable?'

Again, I'll be patient and await your response. (Although I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have to reinstall Windows...)

many thanks,

4bard

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

I think it's pretty clear...if you want opinions...that we think you need to restore/recover/reinstall.

If it were my system, it would have been done long before this...reinstalling has never been a painful process of any sort for me. I make backups, but I seldom use them, preferring to blow it up and start over when things go wrong and I don't know why.

That, IMO, is the place that you are in right now.

But...we have other members and maybe someone has a plan that will vary from those discussed thus far.

Louis

#15 4bard

4bard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

Louis,

I do have backups - although they're not 100% up to date. It's just that I'm not as proficient as you, obviously, and so I am reluctant to mess with Windows (more than I already unwittingly have...). If you decide I should reinstall, that's what I'll do.

I trust you Bleeping guys - and so I'll sit tight until instructed otherwise.

4bard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users