Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow start up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pusssykatt

pusssykatt

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

I recently went through cleaning up trojans through that part of bleeping, but I'm still experiencing a very slow start-up. It initially loads, including my Avast, but then it freezes for about 12 minutes before it unfreezes and finalizes the load. It is apparently the problem with my start up menu, but I have no idea where to begin and don't want to undo the help I got for cleaning up my computer.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

No error messages of any sort?

Have you tried running the chkdsk /r command?

You may want to try either a repair install of XP or try running the sfc /scannow command...either will replace damaged or missing system files.

It is not unusual for such files to become damaged when a system is infected or by malware-removal efforts.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#3 pusssykatt

pusssykatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

Here is a photo of my Event Viewer...does that help?

Attached File  EVENT_VIEWER.JPG   70.97KB   8 downloads

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

It is apparently the problem with my start up menu, but I have no idea where to begin

I manage my startups using the program Spybot. If you have that program then just open Spybot, then go to the top bar, the toolbar, where it lists file, mode, language and help. Click on mode and select advanced mode. Then, go to the panel on the left side, where there are four icon type buttons with three box type buttons below titled, Settings, Tools and Info. Click on Tools, then, towards the bottom of the list on the left, should be the third one from the bottom, click on System Startup. That is where you will find all things that load on startup. There is a bar on the right side of that window with 2 arrows. If you click on that, it will open another panel. When you click on an item listed in the startup list, if there is info available about that item, it will be listed in that panel.

Any program listed that does not have info available for it there, or you are just unsure of, you can either google it or just post it here and I, or someone else, will help you determine if it should stay checked or not. If you decide it is not something that you want loading at startup, just uncheck it.

The ones at the bottom of the list are Windows processes and you do NOT want to uncheck those. On my system the bottom 9 belong to Windows.

Do NOT uncheck anything that you are unsure what it is or if it needs to be loading on startup until you are sure.

Edited by Stang777, 11 May 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

It doesn't look like you're done in your malware thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312572/xp-defender-attack-after-java-update/

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Ok since you are not done there I suggest that you finish there and then if the problem still exists post back here. Thank you :thumbsup:
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 pusssykatt

pusssykatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

No problem...much thanks!

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

Your very welcome hope you get the machine clean of malware I know you will. :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 11 May 2010 - 04:38 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users