Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configure Setup is Disabled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

(I am seriously tired of doing searches specifying title only and having all the results have not a single search term in the title.)

My laptop, Dell Inspiron 600m, was working fine. Well on vacation in New Hampshire, it died. I mean DIED.

At boot, the message reads that there is no bootable drive found. (Exact term: Primary hard disk drive 0 not found - no boot device available.) It continues until I am asked to strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.

If I choose F2, then Alt+P, I get the message that Configure Setup is disabled. I cannot move the highlight to another area to change anything.

Prior to this, the laptop was running slow, but it's four years' old. In addition, the battery stopped charging. (Just in case that has anything to do with it.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cass

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

Can you tell us if it is detected in the BIOS?

#4 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

The hard drive is not detected in BIOS. Is it possible to use my desktop to troubleshoot the hard drive? Can I install it in the tower?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:31 AM

I would try to install it in an external enclosure first. Your motherboard maybe dead, so try it in another computer.

#6 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

I will and then I will post results. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

You can test the drive without removing it from the current location, using tools listed in my reply #2.
No reason for spending extra money to buy an enclosure.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

The hard drive is not detected in BIOS. Is it possible to use my desktop to troubleshoot the hard drive? Can I install it in the tower?

You can test the drive without removing it from the current location, using tools listed in my reply #2.
No reason for spending extra money to buy an enclosure.

Drive is not detected in the BIOS, so diagnostics will not work.

#9 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

Well, my Iomega external hard drive crashed completely three days out of warranty, so I have that enclosure. How can I test it if I can't get it to boot? I'm confused. (Normal state for me lately.)

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Drive is not detected in the BIOS, so diagnostics will not work.

As far, as I'm aware, it's not true.

My Website

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

Dell says "Configure Setup allows you to restrict access to the System Setup program in the same way a system password restricts access to the system. Only available when you set the administrator password."

From what I see...this involves the setting of a BIOS password, which locks you out.

I cannot say why you are locked out.

But...forum rules specifically prohibit passing on info that might circumvent such system safeguards.

The issue may have nothing to do with your hard drive...it's a BIOS password issue, IMO.

Bleeping Computer - Discussion Forum Rules - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user."

Based on my interpretation of your situation...I am closing this thread. You may PM me if you have any questions regarding this situation.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2010 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users