Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Search LH Sidebar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

Many users worldwide have made countless complaints on Forum`s and other sites about the "experimental" Google LH sidebar that comes up on all search screens. It has been inflicted on selected users, probably all those with a Google toolbar and there is no provision made for us to hide it.

Consequently, users including myself have got very angry at having this waste of space dumped on our screens by inconsiderate search engine providers. Google say that there is no way to get rid of it. But there is, the world is full of clever people and Cyber Surgeons independent of Google who can bypass this mandatory implant.

Many solutions have been put forward on the net from using Greasemonkey and JS script to cobbled up add-ons. None of them work overall, some work for some (so they say) and most do not.

David Rubin has recently designed an add-on that is currently experimental BUT installing it is easy with no problems and IT DOES WORK ! if for some reason you do not like it, simply uninstall it and enjoy the sidebar.

For all those users plagued by this compulsory Google search LH sidebar, go to Mozilla Add-ons for Firefox, download "Google Search Tab Remover 1.02" by David Rubin. Google will then be deprived of this annoying sidebar at the expense of worldwide joy.
Hit this link link and you will go direct to it :-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161638

Until David Rubin finally releases this add-on, you may have to REFRESH the first output screen from the Google logo, but from then on - NO LH Sidebar, providing you keep searching using the output screen search box or the SEARCH button on the Google toolbar if you have one..
Final trimming may remove this small temporary need.

Good luck to you all and good riddance to Google`s sidebar.
John Bull

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

I actually like the new look...but if you prefer the old, then here you are:
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=all

#3 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

I actually like the new look...but if you prefer the old, then here you are:
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=all

Hello Red and thanks for the post.

This solution was posted because many thousands of users hate this sidebar - so do I.

I have tried a number of proposed solutions given on the net - none of them work, including the link you quote.
There is NO way you can get rid of this sidebar by fiddling about with ANY Google link or logo, new or old.

The David Rubin fix is the ONLY one that gets rid of this pestilence for ever. Even Google have stated in their own Forum that there is no way we can delete this sidebar until the "experiment" is concluded.

Every word I say is true for the UK. It just may be that in other countries the simple links and old logo`s etc. do work, because Google in their infinite wisdom have selected only certain global regions to infest with their plague. BUT in the UK, the Add-on I am quoting is THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKS - NOTHING ELSE DOES.

The KEY point in all this is that ONLY those using a Google toolbar are infected by this unilateral decision of the Googlers.
NO toolbar - No plague. But before some bright poster tells me to get rid of the toolbar - I use Google as my Hompage and I happen to think their toolbar is indispensable.

Best wishes
John

Edited by John Bull, 12 May 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

I have tried a number of proposed solutions given on the net - none of them work, including the link you quote.
There is NO way you can get rid of this sidebar by fiddling about with ANY Google link or logo, new or old.

Hi John,

Sorry to hear the link is not working for you, though it is working for many others. Geographically we're quite close so I'm not sure if it would be a regional thing, though I can't say this with any certainty.

I usually use Scroogle myself, which was also affected by the new look Google, but thankfully this has now been fixed.

Another good alternative - ixquick (AKA Startpage).

Edit: Wording.

Edited by RedDawn, 12 May 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#5 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:03 AM

Hi John,

Sorry to hear the link is not working for you, though it is working for many others. Geographically we're quite close so I'm not sure if it would be a regional thing, though I can't say this with any certainty.

I usually use Scroogle myself, which was also affected by the new look Google, but thankfully this has now been fixed.

Another good alternative - ixquick (AKA Startpage).

Edit: Wording.

Hi Red,
OK. nobody knows how Google mix their Pandora`s box.
One thing is certain, they aim at the lions share of worldwide browser use.
IE + Firefox = 93.4% of all browser usage. Other browsers are insignificant. Opera is only 2.3% for example.

Apart from the some fixes work and some fixes do not, it all amounts to a simple personal choice - IF YOU LIKE IT, KEEP IT - IF YOU DO NOT, GET RID OF IT. We do not need to have any feathers flying on the subject.

David Rubin, a brilliant designer, would not have wasted his valuable time if millions of dissatisfied users were not present. He would not have done it for John Bull alone.

iGoogle suffers from the same Google tantrum of a compulsory side bar. David Rubin has also designed an Add-on to get rid of this and it works perfectly - I have used it for a long time.

best wishes to all
John Bull

#6 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

The world is full of sheer brilliance. Not a lot of people know this, like Michael Caine said.

A solution to this Google sidebar plague was provided by some nutter in Looneyland out there. He proposed that to rid us of this abominable sidebar scourge we should change the language to PIRATE.

Well, I did, and all the lingo went to an "Ahrr Jim Laad" format, which I had some difficulty in understanding being a humble landlubber. What I could not handle was walking around on one leg with a crutch, having a patch over one eye and a parrot perched on my shoulder. Apart from getting my ear pecked and not being able to go upstairs for a pee - it made the dog bark.

John Bull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users