Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Suddenly "No Internet Access" on wired connection. Tried the common fixes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cam94z28

cam94z28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:27 AM

I just installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heat sink on my Athlon II X4 635. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3. Things were going good, until i tried a slight overclock in EasyTune 6. I tried not even a 200mhz overclock (10 or 12mhz on the FSB). After a few minutes the system hung, and self-rebooted. Upon rebooting, windows 7 64 bit logged in just fine, but instead of successfully connecting to the internet, I see the Yellow Triangle in the taskbar, and a "No Internet Access" popup.

The internet connection is, in fact working. Another wired desktop in the house is connecting just fine, as well as my wireless laptop. The router is a Netgear WGR614v6. The computer in question is connected to a basic linksys 4 port router, which connects to my ps3 just fine. If I run ipconfig /all on the desktop, It even identifies the custom dns servers I have specified in the router, and I can load the web interface for the router. I have tried the MS Fix-It which reinstalls the TCP/IP stack, as well as searching the services list for bonjour, or the other item that Apple apparently installs, and none were there.

Seeing how I can load the web interface in a browser, and identify, but not connect to other computers on the network, the network adapter seems to be working. Wondering if it's a driver issue, I even installed the newest Realtek GBE drivers from Gigabyte's web site.

Another interesting thing to note is that in the course of troubleshooting, I found that the port that my PC had been plugged into on the router had become bad. If any cable is inserted, regardless if plugged into a PC, the activity light for the WAN port blinks steady. The onboard activity light on the motherboard does not do this, so I can assume it is only the router. I moved the connector to the same port that my PS3 works on, to insure the router is not the problem. I also tried an older linksys gateway set to router mode, with the same result.

Any ideas how to go about resolving this?

FWIW here is a screenshot of my ipconfig. Maybe I'm missing something...

DNS Servers are not the custom ones i mentioned above because i set them to automatic.

Posted Image

EDIT: Moved from Win 7 to more appropriate Networking forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2010 - 07:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

can you ping 192.168.1.1?
can you ping www.google.com?

assuming you don't have a coincidental virus or malware attack.

#3 cam94z28

cam94z28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:50 PM

I can ping 192.168.1.1 from cmd prompt and connect to my gateway web interface from a browser. I cannot ping google or any internet based sites. Also, although I can see other pc's on my network in the network browser, I receive an "unavailable" when trying to connect. I haven't tried shared printers yet.

Per your suggestion I will try spybot search and destroy and run a full virus scan with avast.

Edited by cam94z28, 12 May 2010 - 12:51 AM.

#4 rmahn

rmahn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

Sounds to me like it could be 1) the computer's firewall, or 2) your DNS setup. To check for 2, find the ip address of your favorite location (yahoo.com, for example) and put the IP address in your browser instead of the hostname. If this works, then it's your DNS. And that could be a firewall problem, but it might not be. If it doesn't work, then it's a connectivity problem, which is probably firewall or routing.

#5 cam94z28

cam94z28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

Just wanted to update.... System restore saved the day. I had to use it from safe mode. Actually the first restore point I used (critical update) left me with a black screen and mouse pointer on the next boot. I ran it from the boot cd, and selected the previous restore point. So I lost my Progress in crysis warhead, but magically the network started working. Moral of story create a fresh restore point before attempting any overclock.

Edited by cam94z28, 13 May 2010 - 07:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users