Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nortons GOBack

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

cylon

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:09 PM

Has anyone had any problems using Norton's GoBack program on Xp. I just bought the program, but after reading the potential install problems, I am have second thoughts. I will appreciate any feedback.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:05 PM

Hi there,

Before I start I'll just say this is my 'personal opinion'. For me, Norton is not something I would advise using. It is full of bugs and is resource heavy. Its tendrils get in everywhere and removing it completely is a bit of a job. To be fair, regarding the specific Norton program you mention I have no experience of. But that's not a good sign. It's new and therefore the jury is out. To top it off, Norton 'costs'. The fact is you can back your system up with less intrusive software and for free.

I would recommend ERUNT. For me, if I had my way, 'everyone' would have this. It takes a shot of your registry each day and saves it to a folder. That means you can restore your registryto any day, any time, as many times as you like. Even better, the folder is stored in the WINDOWS folder. What does that mean? Well, it means if a catastrophy has happened and you are even unable to boot due to a corrupted registry (and you need to be able to boot to enable system restore), you can actually access the WINDOWS folder from the Control Console. It has saved many people's PC's where otherwise the only option would have been a reinstall or reformat. ERUNT download:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

ERUNT tutorial:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

I hope that helps :thumbsup:

Big Smiles

HS

#3 cylon

cylon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. I APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO HELP.

CYLON

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

I gave up on Norton ans MacAfee over two years ago. I went with AVG Free. It works well for me.
The GO Back with Norton. Is that a restore feature?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

Hi there,

Yes, it is a restore feature:

http://www.symantec.com/goback/

It looks pretty good actually, however, as in my previous post there are good free alternatives....just without the bells and whistles :thumbsup:

Big Smiles

HS

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:56 PM

What is the advantage of GOBack over XP system restore?

#7 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

Hi there,

Well essentially system restore is a one shot thing...once you go back with it you lose all other restore points. Not too bad if using system restore has solved your issue, but, if you haven't gone back far enough and the problem still remains you're a bit stuck. System Restore is a good feature, it's just a bit inflexible.

Systems like ERUNT allow you to move back and forth between dates as many times as you like. GoBack looks like it allows a similar thing.

Big Smiles

HS

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

Go Back was developed for situations in Win 9x...that are handled better by System Restore in Win 2K and XP.

A back-up/disk-imaging program would be a better option than Go Back.

Just another opinion...

Louis

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:18 PM

Have you used the drive image on Digital Dolly. I have been using DD for over two but never had a need. I guess I should at least try it.

#10 beamish

beamish

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 02:31 PM

Hello, Have not used Norton's GoBack, have Roxio GoBack3. Been using GoBack since Adaptec owned the program.
Some people have problems with the new Norton edtion, do not know why.
I installed GoBack3 on a WindowsXP Home unit without problem been using it for the last 18 months.
Keeps all files unlike System Restore which only keeps system files.
Have a virus use GoBack, saves time and aggravation. Deleted a file, use GoBack to recover a file. Can't access Windows, GoBack uses the MBR in order to operate before Windows starts.
Read the GoBack information to avoid pitfalls. Need to understand about the change in the MBR.
Should not be used as a subsitute (but along with) a good image program such as Norton's Ghost or Acronis True Image.
Take Care.
beamish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users