Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VIDEO CARD HELP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sunku

Sunku

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:47 PM

I wanted to install two video cards on my new system and i was wondering if the video cards had to be the same exact ones...

any help would be greatly apperciated

-thanks
sunny

Edited by Sunku, 29 September 2005 - 03:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kaptain

Kaptain

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:55 PM

I'm 90% sure that it doesn't have to be the same videocards. It might be the case in occurances where you have two SLI video cards, not sure. But in general you should be ok with two different video cards.
On my other pc, i can use both - the integrated video controller and my pci video card. So according to that, any two video cards should work.

#3 Sunku

Sunku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:46 PM

k Thank you kaptain.. i was wondering if anyone is 100% sure of this.... the two video cards i would use are as following: NVidia GeForce FX 5200 128mb
and a Diablotek NVidia Geforce 6600 512 mb PCI express

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
sunny

Edited by Sunku, 29 September 2005 - 04:49 PM.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:13 PM

Are you talking about SLI?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Sunku

Sunku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:15 PM

is SLI the only way to link two video cards together?

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:39 PM

At the moment, ATI's working on its crossfire, but for now SLI is the only way to link two cards. And for SLI to work the cards need to bee identical. Exactly the same card, make, model, BIOS version and so on.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users