Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking XP Prof & Win 7 Home Prem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tman12235

tman12235

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hello,

I have recently purchased a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. My existing computer runs Microsoft XP Professional. I tried using the networking and sharing wizard in Win 7 and networking application in Win XP to set my network. Unfortunately, neither worked. Can anyone provide directions or know if I can network my computers?

Thanks

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

You need to make sure that both computers belong to the same Workgroup, that sharing is turned on and that the specific folders you want to access are shared.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

also by default windows 7 requires you to use a password for all computers on the network or it will not connect (like mac). there is a check box somewhere that will not require password protection. i don't have a windows 7 machine here to find it for you but if you google it you will find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users