Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drives not recognized

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xsight

xsight

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

I left my desktop on last night and just turned the monitor off. This morning when I turned the monitor on it was a black screen and said "No bootable drive could be found". Same thing when I tried to restart.

I have a primary and secondary internal drive installed. When I go into the bios setup it recognizes the 2 - cd/dvd drives but neither of the hard drives. I unplugged / replugged the cables from the drives and motherboard, power cable to the drives. Cables do not seem damaged.

I do not hear the drives spinning on startup. Recover disc will not work because it cannot detect a hard drive.
The computer is an eMachines T3516 running Windows XP.
Where should I look next?

Thanks in advance

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Check your data cables on your hard drives, unplug them and re-plug them. Oxidation build-up between metals can sometimes cause open circuits.

Be sure to plug them back in where they were before you removed them.

See if this fixes the problem.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 May 2010 - 08:03 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

Older system...I'd connect each drive to a second system (individually) and see if it recognizes them.

My experience is that the BIOS will recognize any drive that's properly connected normally.

I'd replace the CMOS battery (just for GP).

Are these drives on separate IDE cables?

Louis

#4 xsight

xsight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for your quick reply but no, I just put a fresh cable on and still the same. The drives are on the same cable. One marked slave the other master. Thanks. I'll pull the drives and check them.

Joe

Edited by xsight, 10 May 2010 - 08:13 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for your quick reply but no, I just put a fresh cable on and still the same. The drives are on the same cable. One marked slave the other master. Thanks. I'll pull the drives and check them.

Joe

Hmmm? Seems strange that two seperate drives would fail at the same time.

Which is why I asked you about the data (ribbon) cable.

I see you said you also made sure one drive was a slave and the other was a master.

I think we're looking at a problem with your motherboard, to which the ribbon wire is connected. Or have you tried switching the power wires with the cdrom drives to see if the power wire is not the issue here?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 xsight

xsight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

OK... the power wire is not the issue, but I'm making some headway here.

If I disconnect the master then the bios recognizes the slave drive but not vice versa. So, I'm gonna see if I can make the slave the master drive and see if it will let me reinstall windows on that drive. Meanwhile I'll check the master on a 2nd system.

Does that make sense?

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

OK... the power wire is not the issue, but I'm making some headway here.

If I disconnect the master then the bios recognizes the slave drive but not vice versa. So, I'm gonna see if I can make the slave the master drive and see if it will let me reinstall windows on that drive. Meanwhile I'll check the master on a 2nd system.

Does that make sense?

Yes it makes a lot of sense, there can be a problem with the drive you had set as a master, as long as you correctly read the map for the jumper settings correctly.

I know I fell victum of reading the map backwards on a drive once, but that was because it was hard to tell which pins was supposed to be CS MA and SL and then there was a set of dead pins which were there to hold the un-used jumpers.

When I finally tried read the map backwards, the drive worked because the pins on the drive were never marked or numbered and the map did not show that one stand alone pin which was supposed to be the marker pin. So just make sure you did not fall victum to this.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 May 2010 - 09:17 PM.

#8 xsight

xsight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

OK... it looks like it's letting me do a reinstall since I removed the master and converted the slave to master. I'm gonna check the other drive on a 2nd system tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your help.

Joe

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

OK... it looks like it's letting me do a reinstall since I removed the master and converted the slave to master. I'm gonna check the other drive on a 2nd system tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your help.

Joe

Okies I edited my other post above because I felt it didn't make much sense the way it was worded.

And you're welcome!

Good luck with testing that other drive out, again make sure the jumper map is being read correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users