Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek HD Audio -- Mic doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ExitiumMachina

ExitiumMachina

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

As the topic says; my mic does not work with Realtek HD Audio. It used to work, because I have used it in the past with success...but then my PC crashed and it hasn't worked since. Realtek's audio manager recognizes the mic when it is plugged into the front or rear jacks, but it simply doesn't work. I've heard it is normal that the record function in Realtek's HD Audio is greyed out, but that still seems kind of stupid to me, either way I can't control anything as far as the record function aside from the main volume control...what it does, I don't know, if it does anything at all. I'm using a Koss SB-30 headset with the colored plugs for both the mic and the headphones, I don't have speakers, and everything otherwise plays fine (music, game audio, movies, etc.). I just can't use the mic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

if the system detects it but it doesn't work have you tried it in some other device?
maybe your mic just went bad.

#3 ExitiumMachina

ExitiumMachina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

if the system detects it but it doesn't work have you tried it in some other device?
maybe your mic just went bad.

That's what I'm leaning on considering I've done every bit of troubleshooting with this issue and still can't get the mic to work. That and I heard that USB mics work better with Realtek HD Audio, so I might just go ahead and invest in a new USB mic.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

1. For starters, you really need to connect the mic to another system and check if it works. This will save you the trouble of unnecessarily tweaking the audio settings on your PC.

2. And if you have to look into the settings, make sure the "Microphone Volume" in the 'Realtek HD Sound Manager' and 'Windows Master Volume', are set accordingly and not muted.

That and I heard that USB mics work better with Realtek HD Audio

No such thing. A mic with the standard microphone jack, works just fine with all major sound chipsets.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 May 2010 - 06:19 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 ExitiumMachina

ExitiumMachina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:34 AM

2. And if you have to look into the settings, make sure the "Microphone Volume" in the 'Realtek HD Sound Manager' and 'Windows Master Volume', are set accordingly and not muted.

That is greyed out, it isn't muted but I can't do anything as far as the record function on my Realtek HD Sound Manager aside from mess with the main volume.

#6 ExitiumMachina

ExitiumMachina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

Have a new mic, the other mic was bad this one seems to work just fine.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

Ah, good to hear. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 meuchel

meuchel